Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after shooting a 300 bird event yesterday that my shoulders were sore. Not from the recoil, but from holding the shotgun. It is possible to hold a shotgun to tight against your shoulder? I’m not in super great shape, but I’m pretty young 43 and work out on the regular. Also I have been shooting regularly all summer. I shot a friends gun with a gracoil and when I would mount the gun I would be compressing the springs at least a half inch. He said he barely compress’s it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Holding a gun tight to your shoulder shouldn't cause pain.
Depending on how stiff your friend has his Gracoil set it might be easy to collapse the stock.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Even 2 3/4" target loads after an entire days worth of shooting can take their toll on the shoulder regardless how young or fit they are. You mentioned that you work out. Do you think the sore shoulder may be from working out and shooting all day may have worsened it?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree with the feedback that you have already received, that the Gracoil is adjusted too loose. It should not compress when the gun is mounted and ready to call for the target.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sometimes when you suspect you might be doing some head lifting you bear down and hold a lot tighter gun. That may just beat you up a little. 300 target day is quite a bit of targets.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I noticed after shooting a 300 bird event yesterday that my shoulders were sore. Not from the recoil, but from holding the shotgun. It is possible to hold a shotgun to tight against your shoulder? I’m not in super great shape, but I’m pretty young 43 and work out on the regular. Also I have been shooting regularly all summer. I shot a friends gun with a gracoil and when I would mount the gun I would be compressing the springs at least a half inch. He said he barely compress’s it.
Working out dosen't use the same mussels as shooting.

·
Registered
860 Posts
. I shot a friends gun with a gracoil and when I would mount the gun I would be compressing the springs at least a half inch. He said he barely compress’s it.
That's why I Slip a o-rings around the gracoil pins for a gauge to set spring tension lighter or tighter - for different loads or a different persons premount.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great shooters use a death grip, lesser shooters rest the forearm in their hand and barely grip the grip. This is a fact.
Interesting. I never would have thought that about trap. Pistols yes, but not shotguns.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I recently spoke with Randy and Nora Ross, tight with both hands.
How tight is "tight"? Do you mean tight as in a white knuckle grip or "firm" like "I'm not going to drop the gun"?

Personally, I've never gripped any shotgun tightly so it caused any strain or tension that might impede fluid movement. That comes from shooting a lot of Olympic skeet where the last thing you need is muscular tension robbing you of fluidity.

The same discussion happens regularly in golf, i.e. how tightly should you grip your clubs? I was taught NEVER tightly but firmly instead.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
How tight is "tight"? Do you mean tight as in a white knuckle grip or "firm" like "I'm not going to drop the gun"?

Personally, I've never gripped any shotgun tightly so it caused any strain or tension that might impede fluid movement. That comes from shooting a lot of Olympic skeet where the last thing you need is muscular tension robbing you of fluidity.

The same discussion happens regularly in golf, i.e. how tightly should you grip your clubs? I was taught NEVER tightly but firmly instead.
Not a death grip but firm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts