Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't that part of the punishment for committing a crime?

Oh wait a minute, more minorities incarcerated than whites so that would mean more votes for Democrats, I get it now. Silly me!!

·
Super Moderator
3,176 Posts
Rick, Holder is talking about while they are incarcerated too. Surely you don't agree with that? Harv

·
Registered
563 Posts
They, once out of prison, can petition to have the majority of their rights restored . Guess we will soon se democratic voter registration in prisons next. God, I am glad I am old and ill, won't be around to see the complete demise of what used to be a great country.

Van

·
Registered
563 Posts
Rick,
It is simple, it is the law. Using your logic, once a child molester or sex offender serves his sentence, all is forgiven and he should not be required to register with local authorities. Do you agree with that as well?

Van

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
If they can't get gun rights restored why should they get voting rights restored?

Think about this: Holder says it is a violation of your privacy and rights to have to show ID to vote. But your Second Amendment rights are swept aside in many places that require special ID to own a gun.

Double standard.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Rick,
With repeat offenders running extremely high, perhaps you should offer safe haven for them in your neighborhood? I am sure there are many who would take you up on your offer and your neighbors would love you for your moral conscience.

Van

znn qrx nxt

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think Rick is on to something here. Just think about his logic. Do your time and your slate is wiped clean. We could go back to the good old days of no background checks for firearm purchases, heck, we could order them through the internet and have them sent right to our house. Think of the money all governments would save, no longer having to keep track of those former bad guys who are now pure and clean, heck, that's a great idea. No longer having to do background checks and with all their rights and privileges restored, I am sure there would few if any repeat offenders.

Rick, I am now all in.

Van

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
They knew the price before they did the crime, tough $hit you lost the rights when you committed the crime

But the Devils Island would be doable in my opinion

·
Premium Member
18,811 Posts
Holder needs to have his rights appealed.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
The felons have done their time because they committed and were convicted of a felonious crime. They can re-enter society but cannot automatically get the right back to vote. Simple as that. It's there as a deterrent. It should stay that way.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I have a relative who had a felony attempt to elude as a teenager. That's a traffic crime. He's been working on getting his record wiped clean for a couple of decades now. He finally accomplished that, and can and has legally purchased firearms AND has a concealed handgun permit. And he is squeaky clean. He does NOTHING that could possibly jeopardize his restored rights. This was all done at the state level.

At the federal level, BATF has such power too. Except congress continually makes sure the budget for rights restoration of non-violent federal felons is not funded. Therefore BATF will not accept applications.

I believe if someone with a non-violent felony who is not a repeat offender has done their time and seeks to get their rights restored, then they should be eligible for the full monte, including voting, passport, Second Amendment, etc. They need to prove they can stay clean for at least a decade, before such an application can be made.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Felons want their rights restored, except for the right or duty to serve on a jury. LOL

Hell after serving on 4 juries I'm envious of the felons not qualified to do jury duty.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Brian Terry will never get his right to live back because of Holders Fast and Furious conspiracy and the ensuing cover up by pal Obama. No wonder Holder thinks like he does.

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
A lot of this is up to the states.

You probably have to read what the discharge papers say about restoration of rights.

We can now degenerate into an argument over what constitutes Legal Rights, Civil Rights, Political Rights, Moral Rights, and Privileges.

With the exception of Moral Rights, all else is controlled by the government, like it or not.

HM

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Does Holder also advocate that felons should get back their gun rights?

ANYTHING Holder says, I oppose! I have yet to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
birdogs, quote: <i>"Should felone who have served their time also be permitted to own fire arms?"</i>

I'll reply with a very qualified yes.

To rephrase your question:

Should a NON-VIOLENT, NON-REPEAT felon with an otherwise clean record who has served their time AND proven to live within the law for at least a decade AND made full restitution be permitted to apply for restoration of their gun rights?

Keep in mind there are felons who simply tried to outrun a cop, failed to pay child support, cheated on taxes, and other non-violent crimes.

Robbers, muggers, and other violent felons, no. Absolutely not.

This is also why the federal Lautenberg Law sucks. It denies gun ownership forever for a misdemeanor with no means of rights restoration. Keep in mind the anti's can AND HAVE tried to use this as a precedent to expand gun ownership bans to other misdemeanors.

Edit: BTW, this is very low on my Second Amendment priorities list, but now that Eric Withholder and Obamafuhrer have played the "let's let felons vote" gambit, why not up the ante with "why not restore their gun rights too" counter-gambit?

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Would you want hassan, james holmes, or the ones at the above link to have their gun ownership rights returned?????

(I have not verified his accuracy on all murderers he cites)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts