Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and seen that the hold points and aim are different for one eyed shooters as opposed to two eyed shooters. What adjustments need to be made to be more accurate and consistent? Are there any videos on Youtube that I could watch that might help?

Jesse

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
One eye shooters, those who close or tape the lens of their off eye, typically hold lower on the house as in the "traditional points" on the PDF below. If you elect a higher hold, hard angled targets to the side of your shooting eye will come up under your barrel and you won't see them until they clear you barrel. This is something you can get used to. I shoot right hand, right eye, left eye taped and I use the high wide hold point show in the diagram. (Hat tip to Terry Jordan as I borrowed his trap house photo to make the diagram).

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nora Ross teaches a great clinic on one or two eyed shooting hold points. It is well worth the fee. As said above hold points are below the roof front edge but she like mid roof positions and look ahead of the front edge for the bird's orange streak leaving the house. your gun will catch up to it easily and boom. Works well with practice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
nora ross says that if you are a one eyed shooter; you MUST hold on the house (actually about a foot in back of the front edge). this is what works for her and she believes that it will work for everyone. most excellent shooter and wonderful person. but, those hold points do not work for all one eyed shooters. take all advice with "a grain of salt"

·
Registered
383 Posts
When my son and daughter were young they shot with tape on their glasses and held a high gun. They shot well and had great potential. I took them both to a clinic of a well known one eyed shooter who told them they had to hold low to be successful at one eye shooting. They held low for a year and their scores were horrible. The following year I switched them back to hold high again (parallel) and they shot great. They have held high ever since with great success. That clinic was the most expensive mistake/lesson I have ever made in the 9 years they have been shooting.
One eyed shooters that hold high have to discipline theirself for the target presentation that comes up under the barrel. One thing that I think really helps are trap guns with high ribs; all you have to look around is a tall thin rib. Everything else (hand, forearm, etc) are below the trap house when holding parallel.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm with the handful above that say find what works for you and stick with it. Just because someone famous does well with a technique doesn't mean it will work for you. It may be a combination of several techniques that gets you that "zen" moment when it all comes together.

I'm ambidextrous, normally right eye dominate and right handed. Shot right handed, left eye closed and left handed, right eye closed all my 54 years until 3 years ago where I spent the better part of a year (shooting once a week) learning to shoot both eyes open. Point is, my hold points on the house and break points are all different for each of the ways I shoot. One method/technique just didn't work for all three. The biggest problem is when switching back and forth, sometimes muscle memory for one technique carries over when I switch up and causes me a lost bird.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Greetings MAH66

Please try to stay on topic, Master mason asked for tips on hold points for one eyed shooters. We are trying to help a new shooter. We trapshooters need more courtesy towards each other. We can only offer advice to Master mason. I'm confident he will develope his own style of shooting, just like the rest of us.

Rickey 1110497

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Hold on the house or just keep struggling. I wouldn't take the advice that the less you move your barrel the better. You have all the time in the world to break the target and the only thing that matters is if you break it or not. I shoot with one eye closed and have been told by many people that I shoot faster than most. I have broke 200's and made it to the 27 several times since the 70's when I started shooting trap. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
My wife shoots one eyed . She blocks the left eye with the dot because she shoots tight handed but, is left mastered eyed. When she took Nora's clinic, Nora advised a much lower hold point. She started holding down on the house and it helped her a lot.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Go to DeVault Industries website, look up past newsletters,there is a good description for one eyed shooters for hold points & foot position

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One eye shooters, those who close or tape the lens of their off eye, typically hold lower on the house as in the "traditional points" on the PDF below. If you elect a higher hold, hard angled targets to the side of your shooting eye will come up under your barrel and you won't see them until they clear you barrel. This is something you can get used to. I shoot right hand, right eye, left eye taped and I use the high wide hold point show in the diagram. (Hat tip to Terry Jordan as I borrowed his trap house photo to make the diagram).
The diagram is a good tool, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know there are varying opinions on the topic, but I appreciate hearing them all because it gives me a few different holds to try. I know it'll take practice and time to figure out what works best for me. My problem so far is getting on the target quick enough, it seems like it takes me a while to get to it. I do better with a full choke simply because I can hit them farther out. My main reason for asking is to determine if there might be a better hold point to allow me to get to the target quicker. Thanks for all the help.

Jesse

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Greetings MAH66

Please try to stay on topic, Master mason asked for tips on hold points for one eyed shooters. We are trying to help a new shooter. We trapshooters need more courtesy towards each other. We can only offer advice to Master mason. I'm confident he will develope his own style of shooting, just like the rest of us.

Rickey 1110497
14 whole posts and ALREADY you want to dictate how we do things. Maybe you need to shut up and listen for a while.........

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Jesse,

Getting to the target quicker with consistent accuracy is primarily a process of lots of lead down the barrel. The more targets you see, the quicker you'll recognize which target presentation it is and your muscle memory will take over and you'll just be able to shoot a little faster. Trying to shoot fast doesn't bring success, success brings faster shooting.

As a one eye shooter, make sure you are not aiming; trying to "see the lead". For all but the max angles, just get the barrel the side of the lead edge of the target. For max angles, just match your swing tempo to the speed of the target and let the momentum carry the gun through the shot.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts