Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a 1 pound, sealed container for a reasonable price and thought about trying the stuff out for the hell of it. I can't find much information on it. Anyone have any loads to refer for general trap loads? Any proven loads worth trying would be appreciated. For your reference, I generally use Remington or Federal hulls with 1 ounce or 1-1/8 ounce loads but I have Winchester AA's for use as well.

Thanks!

Scott Felix

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hodgdon Trap 100 is the same powder as Win 452AA. They date from the 1980's.

Lyman's 3rd Edition has data and it appears a light target load of 1 & 1/8 ounce @ 1145 fps would be 20.0 grains with a CCI209 primer and:

WWAA hull & WAA12 wad, Rem Hull & RXP12 wad,

or 1180-1200 fps with 21.5 grains, CCI209 in a Fed Gold Medal with a 12S3 or WAA12.

All of those are <10,000 psi.

Don't take my word for it, look em up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Mike Campbell is right Trap 100 & 452AA are the same powder and any data you find for one will work for the other. Trap 100 is very fine ball powder and can make quite a mess as it creeps out of the loader and gets everywhere. I would only use it in tapered cases, AA or Remington with wads designed for tapered cases. If there is any room at all the power will find its way past the base of the wads and you will get bloopers.

I shot up 13 pounds and was sure glad when I finished with it. Would buy some more if the price was right, but it would have to be really right.

Michael

·
Registered
714 Posts
Fantastic in 45 auto 230 lead loads. Very dirty in my 12ga trap loads,I shot with all win. components 1 1/18 at 19-20gr. There were 1oz and light 20ga loads listed also for it. Also glad when my 10lb round cardboard container of 452aa was empty. Glad you found some powder though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Years ago I was given several cans of Trap 100 I used it to load .45 Colt for cowboy shooting and worked just fine. The fine powder measured very accurately

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
As mentioned, it should really shine as a pistol powder. I have 5 lbs of 452AA I use in .38spl and .45ACP. Not only do I get excellent accuracy anywhere in the 4-5 grain range, but the stuff meters so well I rarely see more than a 0.1 grain variance. I'll always be on the lookout for it since I'm not quite as happy with the newer Win WST.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys! I have no reloading manuals older than about 7 years and there's no info on the product in the more current books.

I do have a .45 and I typically use 230 grain bullets. My preferred charge is usually in the 4.2 to 4.5 grain range and I might use it there instead of in my trap gun. Sounds from you guys that it might be a more ideal option.

As for shotgun loads, in most cases, I like to load comfortable 1 ounce loads in STS hulls for general practice so there is an option for me there as well from what you guys mentioned above.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I loaded 5.0gr. w/235gr. lee WW water quenched for my p220 and Kimber Freedom Warrior. Starline and wlp. Still have some as I loaded 5000 to use up the powder.
Best cast load I have, wouldn't you know it now that the powder is gone. Clean and very accurate.

FYI, Hodgdon #26 manual has 230 gr. Jacketed 4.2 -5.1 grs, 726 -828 fps, 12,900 -15,800 cup. 5" test.

Bob

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I want to say I remember loading Trap 100 in 38 special rounds when I was a teenager and also using it in the Lee Load-All for trap loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts