Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are their any that dont kill your feet and tare up the back of your heels?
Just went pheasant hunting and had a great time but it seams as though any hiking boots I get just wear me out and kill my feet,any out there that are comfortable?

I don't care about cost.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Saloman makes some killer hiking boots and you can find some good deals if you look around. The following is a killer boot that I use for hunting.
Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX

·
Premium Member
7,261 Posts
Are their any that dont kill your feet and tare up the back of your heels?
Just went pheasant hunting and had a great time but it seams as though any hiking boots I get just wear me out and kill my feet,any out there that are comfortable?

I don't care about cost.
Google Alico.
MG

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I had a pair of Irish Setter boots that only lasted about 20 years or so. Super warm, comfortable and dry. I have no idea what model they were, but when I go to get another pair, they’ll be Irish Setter.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Lowa Zephyr GTX. They are a tactical boot, but work well for hunting as well. They are Goretex with no insulation. A little pricey at $275, but they are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Good quality boots that FIT are certainly important and are critical to anyone's enjoyment of their time in the woods. That said...do not overlook the importance of GOOD QUALITY SOCKS. The biggest and bulkiest socks aren't always automatically the best choice...it's more about matching your socks to your boots and then both of them ( in combination) to your feet. The right socks will make all the difference in the world in how comfortable your new expensive boots will feel, and how long you can stay in them.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Lowa, Alico, My favorite mid height is Zamberlan.

I also have stopped buying boots of any kind if they are made with some sort of material- 100% leather for me.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The very best boot for hunting I ever owned , rocky snow stalker extreme. As lite as a pair of tennis shoes and warm enough to hunt all day in extreme cold. If they ever bring them back I'll own them. I have tried other boots with no luck and I'm going to take the above recommendations into consideration. Thanks for the forum and the responses.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Put some tape on your heels until the boots are broken in. There is no off the shelf boot that doesn't need breaking in.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Hiking boots are not what you want for hunting. I have a nice pair of Zamberlan hiking boots that I wouldn't even think of hunting in. Too stiff. For hunting dry uplands, I have a pair of your basic hunting boots, mine are Winchester branded, and a bit on the big side. (13, I wear 12.) I wear polypropylene liner socks, and merino wool socks. Didn't get cold feet at all yesterday at Lambeau. For wet areas, I have some Skellerup Quatro knee boots, and for real cold weather, I have a pair of Lacrosse IceMan boots, a pair of LaCrosse IceKing boots, and a pair of Guide Gear size 16 pac boots with a set of size twelve liners in them, in addition to the size 16 ones. It's never been cold enough here to need the last pair. Wore them ice fishing once, they were plenty warm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found that a good insole goes along way with my boots. I have a high arch in one foot so i have to kinda customize mine

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had a pair of Irish Setter boots that only lasted about 20 years or so. Super warm, comfortable and dry. I have no idea what model they were, but when I go to get another pair, they’ll be Irish Setter.
Issue is, they'll be Chinese Setter now. A lot of what used to be top brands (think Orvis, Bean, Polo, etc) are all now made with the cheapest shit possible, likely by a 12 year old Chinese girl who works 14 hour days.

I specifically sought out Irish Setter brand to replace an identical style that I had, I've been very disappointed with them comfort wise.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Issue is, they'll be Chinese Setter now. A lot of what used to be top brands (think Orvis, Bean, Polo, etc) are all now made with the cheapest shit possible, likely by a 12 year old Chinese girl who works 14 hour days.

I specifically sought out Irish Setter brand to replace an identical style that I had, I've been very disappointed with them comfort wise.
Yeah, ya know it seems that everything good goes this route. The boots I had logged a lot of miles around the PA Poconos. I see there is another fairly recent post on boots made right here in the USA - Idaho, I think. Time to look into that. I have a hard time buying footwear w/o trying them on, ‘cuz comfort is REALLY important.

I’d support an American business first every time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saloman makes some killer hiking boots and you can find some good deals if you look around. The following is a killer boot that I use for hunting.
Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX
Salomon will be the next boots I buy after my Danners wear out. I own a pair of mid height hiking shoes from them and they are the best pair of shoes I own. Extremely comfortable, lightweight and more than enough arch support on multi-day backpack trips.
My bet would be their boots are equally as good.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts