Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so in Bunker Trap why do shooters shoot a flat ribbed gun with a more sporting style stock instead of the higher ribbed guns with taller stocks similar to doubles bunker trap or American trap.

I prefer a gun with the higher rib and straighter stock (Think a Krieghoff pro sporter) and wanted to know people's opinions for firearms to use in this discipline or why hardly anyone shoots this style of gun.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I watched a video posted on this site that was showing some guys competing in bunker doubles...and everyone of those guys had high ribs!!!!!

But your right, all of the bunker guys at our club shoot flat rib guns...but many of them are over 60 years old.

I personally think it has to do with the saying "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks."!!!! It will be interesting to see what the new "young guns" decide in the future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
High rib guns are popular in Double Trap as it tends to require a high gun hold to ambush this first target so the high rib gives very good visibility either side of the high hold barrel (just watch how fast they shoot the first target).
Bunker tends to be a much lower hold point (0n or just above the exit point) so that extra visibility is not typically required. There are of course some exceptions to this and the MX2000/3, with a medium adjustable rib is very popular but generally high hold-points and high rib guns are quite rare for bunker.

TD

·
Registered
152 Posts
Based on the latest ISSF World Cup videos some shooters started using higher ribbed guns.
Most interesting that during the latest World Cup in Baku shooter from Poland used Browning 725 Trap Pro International (with adjustable rib) - he took third place.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dimak I'll have to check that out! I had a chance to buy the American version of the pro trap. I wish it had the adjustable rib. Would have pulled the trigger on one then.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Massimo and Jessica seem to be doing quite well with the low rib? Not sure what the Rio games will bring but I would speculate they both will be hard to get around to reach a podium. Seems Corey agrees and is our US hope for a medal. I am assuming a low rib gun must have some merit at the Trench, these three can have any thing they ask for on the barrel...

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
The non-MC stocks are not sporting style but rather simply non-MC parallel comb trap stocks. About a zillion Perazzis here and there had those kind of stocks. Not to mention every other brand of trap gun ever made pretty much.

IMO it is desired head positioning and not hold point that will pick the stock/rib for you. Any rib works with a low hold point.

Reactions: Pullthattarget

·
Registered
132 Posts
IMO it is desired head positioning and not hold point that will pick the stock/rib for you. Any rib works with a low hold point.
Can't say I agree with your second last statement Charlie. Can't be a coincidence that the vast majority of Double Trap shooters use a high rib gun while most Bunker shooters use a flat (ish) rib gun. Unless of course those that prefer a high rib/head up position all just happen to shoot Double Trap?

Yes any rib height works with a low gun hold but few bunker shooters use um. Same as you don't see many high ribs used for skeet. In my opinion high ribs just don't present the right sight image. Some prefer (or need) a head-up position for any kind of shooting but these are the exception.

Have a nice day :)

TD

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
What can I say, TD? You're wrong. :1schmuddel04: I'm sure there are many reasons for the stock conformation that individuals choose and I'm not arguing with any of them.
In my opinion high ribs just don't present the right sight image.
and that's yours. But that doesn't mean that it is the reason others choose a low rib (or a high rib). ATA shooters and prolly DTL are always looking to buy that last target and so are willing to try anything. Most of them are old coots too and a more heads-up thing is a worthwhile move - like me. I'm not gonna include Oly doubles since that is just trick shooting kinda stuff and what may be almost game-specific tools - well, almost almost.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that rib height is meaningless outside the context of what a shooter likes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts