Trapshooters Forum banner

High rib

4214 Views 38 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  gundog3
What's the benefits of a high rib?
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
13,542 Posts
Lets you get your head more upright.
Not always! I have a very heads up look with a standard rib on the 525 shotgun. Its all about gun fit. A adj. butt plate will give any shooter a more heads up view and level the shooters eye's!!! Which is a must for shooting a moving target.

The primary advantage to a high rib shotgun----Allows the shooter to see around the barrel better. The barrel is lowered and allows for better vision around it. Of course many Sporting Clay shooters have found it is not always a advantage for fast falling targets. Since its harder for your brain to see the barrel on a falling target. It now only sees the rib, which is smaller and less noticeable in your peripheral vision!!! Because the barrel is missing from view!!!
The only other advantage I know of, could be having a adj. rib on the high rib shotgun! As most high rib shotguns come with a adjustable rib. Most low rib shotguns have fixed rib, and POI.

So a high rib shotgun would be more of a advantage in skeet and trap for the average Joe. It may or may not be much of a advantage in Sporting Clays. This would depend on the shooter? Of course this is a general answer. What works best for you could be different. Too know for sure, you have to go out and buy one to find out!!! Good Luck on your Journey!!! Don't forget to break em all jeff

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Not always! I have a very heads up look with a standard rib on the 525 shotgun. Its all about gun fit. A adj. butt plate will give any shooter a more heads up view and level the shooters eye's!!! Which is a must for shooting a moving target.

The primary advantage to a high rib shotgun----Allows the shooter to see around the barrel better. The barrel is lowered and allows for better vision around it. Of course many Sporting Clay shooters have found it is not always a advantage for fast falling targets. Since its harder for your brain to see the barrel on a falling target. It now only sees the rib, which is smaller and less noticeable in your peripheral vision!!! Because the barrel is missing from view!!!
The only other advantage I know of, could be having a adj. rib on the high rib shotgun! As most high rib shotguns come with a adjustable rib. Most low rib shotguns have fixed rib, and POI.

So a high rib shotgun would be more of a advantage in skeet and trap for the average Joe. It may or may not be much of a advantage in Sporting Clays. This would depend on the shooter? Of course this is a general answer. What works best for you could be different. Too know for sure, you have to go out and buy one to find out!!! Good Luck on your Journey!!! Don't forget to break em all jeff
Skeet ? Are you nuts ?

· Registered
4,498 Posts
Love Pistachio too...High Rib on skeet? ....I shoot nothing but High Ribs on Trap...maybe that is the only gun they have
to match their TuTus or skirts
I just can’t imagine shooting skeet with one but I guess some folks could. I have a hard enough time as it is without having to adjust to a high rib.
The two of you are making the assumption that a high rib has a steep angle, and therefor, a High POI, which only benefits a shooter on a rising target.

Most adjustable high rib guns can be adjusted to shoot 50/50.

The best "American skeet" shooter in the word today shoots a high rib skeet gun.

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Uh John my friend, my gun did not have a steep angle, it had a fully adjustable rib, and I had it set at 50/50. All that rib sticking up in the air bothered me as well as the stock configuration. So you can’t assume on my part anyway. Just wanted to clarify. The other John.

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Setting a high rib gun to 50/50 to shoot trap defeats the purpose of how you would set about learning to improve as a shooter.
Simply to say what's better about a high rib.
Nothing is better it's just different and for many it = better scores.

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Well sir, I thought a high rib gun would give me a more heads up which it did. Now setting it up for 50/50 for me did not defeat the purpose which was a more heads up position. To say that a high rib gun is a benefit to everyone to make them a better shooter, well perhaps so but not for me. Nothing is absolute in shooting. What works for me probably wouldn’t work for you and vice versa. I’m not arguing your point at all, just pointing out that nothing is concrete regarding shooting. We are all different. BTW I’m a fair shot with my low rib Guns. I spent a ton of money to get it right but I did it and I’m happy.

· Registered
207 Posts
They do help to reduce heat waves and a heads up configuration when balanced with the correct stock. But mostly to sell more and different guns, separating ones money from one. Most shooters will have owned 4-8 different styles till they find "The One" Then complain about the one they sold or traded to buy "The One"

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,647 Posts
I used to enjoy shooting skeet with a Citori plus trap I bought back in the early 90's. Actually had a pair of them. One was a top barrel combo. They were as great for skeet as trap with no gun to obstruct your view. Should never have sold them.

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Well sir, I thought a high rib gun would give me a more heads up which it did. Now setting it up for 50/50 for me did not defeat the purpose which was a more heads up position. To say that a high rib gun is a benefit to everyone to make them a better shooter, well perhaps so but not for me. Nothing is absolute in shooting. What works for me probably wouldn’t work for you and vice versa. I’m not arguing your point at all, just pointing out that nothing is concrete regarding shooting. We are all different. BTW I’m a fair shot with my low rib Guns. I spent a ton of money to get it right but I did it and I’m happy.
Chief
I think everyone should do whatever they can to shoot thier best.
Henry

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.