Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been trap shooting on and off for a few years now and I'm at a place financially where I can afford to shoot a bit more and do a lot more competitive shoots.

I've been shooting a 686 onyx pro trap for the past few years, while it is a good gun, the gun doesn't quite fit me how I want, the grip and the stock is just doesn't fit as well as it could.

I was able to shoot a friend's Kolar trap gun with a high rib and higher monte carlo stock, the gun felt great and I ran a couple 24/25s my first few rounds with it...

While I cannot afford a Kolar gun at this time, I did find out that I do like a higher rib/high comb style gun. I dont mind using my Beretta for double but I am in the hunt for a single barrel trap gun that could suit my needs, Im looking to spend around $6k for a gun...right now the guns that have a similar style to a kolar would be a

Krieghoff KX-6 Special
Beretta 692 Unsingle

Any other guns I should take a look at that might be similar? Im open to any suggestions...thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you like the performance of your current gun, the idea of an add on rib and adjustable comb would be significantly less money. Also an adjustable butt plate or recoil system. This way - you would be shooting the same gun for both venues. Regards ES

·
Registered
775 Posts
I would be concerned about going from a high comb/high rib singles gun to the much lower set-up on the 686 for doubles. I think you would find the mount and swing dynamics very different, and scores may suffer. You may want to consider saving up a little longer and buying a combo that suits your needs. -Ed

·
Registered
857 Posts
I believe, when they come up, used Kolar SBT guns are under 3K. I let one get away before I knew what they were worth. The dealer was asking 2200.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,144 Posts
Pick one.

Krieghoff
Blaser
Zoli
Beretta
Alfermann
Cesar Guerini
Kolar
Seitz
Ljutic
Browning
Add a rib
Comb jobs
Adjustable pads
Hell, even a TriStar will work.

They'll all do the job.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Hello all,

I've been trap shooting on and off for a few years now and I'm at a place financially where I can afford to shoot a bit more and do a lot more competitive shoots.

I've been shooting a 686 onyx pro trap for the past few years, while it is a good gun, the gun doesn't quite fit me how I want, the grip and the stock is just doesn't fit as well as it could.

I was able to shoot a friend's Kolar trap gun with a high rib and higher monte carlo stock, the gun felt great and I ran a couple 24/25s my first few rounds with it...

While I cannot afford a Kolar gun at this time, I did find out that I do like a higher rib/high comb style gun. I dont mind using my Beretta for double but I am in the hunt for a single barrel trap gun that could suit my needs, Im looking to spend around $6k for a gun...right now the guns that have a similar style to a kolar would be a

Krieghoff KX-6 Special
Beretta 692 Unsingle

Any other guns I should take a look at that might be similar? Im open to any suggestions...thanks!
If you have $6000 to spend, your not that far from a used Kolar combo. I've seen several in the $7200-$7500 range.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try adda rib or keen rib before you upgrade to see if a high rib is what you truly want, if you have an adjustable comb raise it accordingly or throw on a stick on comb

·
Registered
328 Posts
Last year I went the route of a KX-6 Special and a Stock Lock recoil system. I was never a great shooter. My inconsistency is the one consistency in my life. With the Stock Lock I can shoot all day and the gun fits me perfectly. I have had no issues with the Krieghoff, but then again I had no major issues with my Beretta 687 combo or my Browning 725 combo either.

I am more than happy with the Krieghoff and I no longer suffer from "I want another gun syndrome."

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a KX 6S that I used to shoot regularly, and will again some day.
I also have a 686 with a PFS stock and an add-a-rib to get my head more upright. To be honest I prefer the KX6 and only have it because it became available at a very good price. If you're looking for gun fit on a budget the PFS is hard to beat.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you plan on shooting Doubles???

If you don't plan on much double shooting. The Krieghoff would be a great choice.

If you do plan on shooting a lot of doubles??? Then a combo would be my preferred route. A Ceasar Guerini Summit Combo is within your grasp right now, with the 6 grand I should think. They are a excellent shotgun for the money. Of course at 6 grand there are lots of choices in some very used nice combo's as well. Enjoy your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. Picking out your own shotgun is one of them. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’ve looked at em all myself and like the 725 browning pro trap. Around 3500. There are a lot of 725 at our club

1 - 20 of 31 Posts