Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been shooting sporting clays long but I've noticed that over several years high rib sporting guns have fallen in and out of favor? Why do you guys supposed this is?

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's just like all the other clay target games , depends on what the "big dogs" are shooting . If they are shooting high rib guns this year that is what most folks want , if they switch to low ribs then low ribs are in .

·
Registered
280 Posts
I figured they were coming into style. A lot of sporting shooters I see shoot the Blaser super sport among other high rib guns designed for sporting clays.

·
Registered
29,295 Posts
The original intent was for American Trap. You could shoot a high rib shotgun for skeet or sporting clays if you wanted, it was never intended for that.

Sporting Clays was intended to replicate the hunting experience, meaning it was intended for hunting, field and skeet guns.

Here is a pic from a 1975 Simmons catalog with Ray Stafford hold a high rib shotgun. The intent of the rib was to provide built in vertical lead, thus reducing the amount of upward gun movement. Think about all the different flights and paths of sporting clays targets where that is not required. That might be the answer to your question, ever hunt rabbits or doves with a hi rib shotgun?

image.jpeg

If a high rib trap gun can be used for any other discipline, so be it, carry on, but not always practical. Just giving you a little history behind it.

·
Administrator
8,281 Posts
Ultimately you will see various designs trend in and out like many other sports and industries. Some of it is manufacturer driven on the promotion end and a big part is the "have to have" part on the end user.
If a competitor is running into a issue of not hitting as many targets as they feel they should and the equipment is a issue rather than the operator many will seek out the latest and greatest to seek improvement.
Ultimately High Rib--Mid RIb--or Low Rib a shooter has to decide what will work best for them.

·
Registered
18,699 Posts
Exactly, John Deere could sell their tractors with parachutes on the back of them, would not make them dragsters.
Ah, but they are. John Deere drags hell out implements. The smaller JD could well be called dragsters. Kind of like chirren are called youngsters. The parachute would just be added extra.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I shoot Brownings with their high post ribs for everything. I've been using them ever since I got my hands on one 30 years ago. My scores in sporting are terrible with low rib guns. Also shoot a Kemen with trap rib better. Maybe, like me, the higher rib fits some people better. Style means nothing to me. (look at my avatar).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sheikh Ahmed Al Maktoum - U.A.E. was the Gold Medalist in Men's Double Trap in 2004
This guy organized and mostly funded an awesome Sporting Clays tournament in Dubai, 2014 and 2015, both won by Americans (Gebben Miles, 2014 and Derrick Mein 2015). There will be no 2016 event but I heard something is in the works for 2017. The Sheikh had some health problems or something...

This is the event's 2015 website - Nad Al Sheba World Sporting Championship

1 - 20 of 44 Posts