Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any benefit? I shoot a Krieghoff KX 5 for singles and caps pretty well and want a gun that can do doubles as well. I use a Browning Citori Trap O/U for doubles now. Thinking of moving up to a K 80 Trap Special Combo and trying to figure what rib height I need as a left eye dominant, right hand shooter that uses tape on my left lens. I've shot the K 80 TS with the high rib and it really doesn't provide any benefit that I can readily see. I don't want to buy something because it "looks cool" if it can't help me break more targets. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
888 Posts
A higher rib may help with heat waves coming off the top barrel in the summer. I shoot one eyed and noticed this summer that the heat waves were not as noticeable with my higher ribbed O/U. Other than that, I haven't seen much difference.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A higher rib may help with heat waves coming off the top barrel in the summer. I shoot one eyed and noticed this summer that the heat waves were not as noticeable with my higher ribbed O/U. Other than that, I haven't seen much difference.
im a one eyed shooter, bought a CG unsingle combo last year and am shooting better than I ever have.

jack mc

·
Registered
909 Posts
im a one eyed shooter, bought a CG unsingle combo last year and am shooting better than I ever have.

jack mc
Same here. Love my Trap unsingle CG.
Cactus: Is your combo a Trap model? If so, can you get your double barrels to shoot 50/50 for sporting or do you just shoot trap doubles with it?
Thanks.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,493 Posts
I'm a one eyed shooter shooting a fairly new to me high rib gun. The "heads up" position definitely alleviates stress on my neck after a long day of shooting. I have neck/vertebra issues anyway, and the high rib is a God send. As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say, it keeps me shooting till I have surgery in the near future. As for "seeing the bird" quicker or clearer.......I haven't seen that benefit for myself, not in the game of trap anyways.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I am a 2 eyed right handed shooter and I am more likely to crossfire with the high rib gun especially in bad light where I can reference the fat barrel instead of looking over the rib. With a tape patch on my left eye lens, the rib appears solid instead of transparent.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you're a one eyed shooter and properly looking over the rib all you will see is the top of the rib regardless how high it is above the barrel. A higher rib wiil give a one eyed shooter a better field of vision as it allows the head to rotate into a more upright position allowing your eye have full field of view. Don't confuse un-single guns with lots of space between the top of the rib and lower barrel as having a hight rib many of them have low ribs. You need to try as many mid and high ribbed guns you can get your hands on before making a purchase.

I think the best values are Guerini's and Fabarm combo's, regardless you need a gun that fits and will be comfortable to shoot.

surfer

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My experience as a one eyed shooter you can't see the end of the barrel as the rib blocks it out, if you can there's something wrong in River City.........

Surfer

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Same here. Love my Trap unsingle CG.
Cactus: Is your combo a Trap model? If so, can you get your double barrels to shoot 50/50 for sporting or do you just shoot trap doubles with it?
Thanks.
so far I just shoot dbls with my CG o/u yes it is a trap gun, summit impact model 32"- 34" im shooting a browning crossover for sporting.

jack mc

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Smokeit,
Can't speak for you but in my case I shoot two guns one an un-single and the other a top single, both have 1-1/4" high ribs which I consider beyond a mid rib height. I did own a top single with a 1-3/4" tall rib which gave no advantage to me over the lower 1-1/4" ribs so I sent down the road. At no time with either of these guns do I see anything other than the top of the rib never the barrels end.

Surfer

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I am a one eyed shooter and I don't believe that I've ever shot any gun that I couldn't see not only the top but either side of the barrel except the Broadways.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There are at least 2 different topics on this thread. 1) The one eyed shooter who uses a tape patch on his/her off shoulder eye in order to solve the crossfire or cross/dominance problem; 2) The high rib gun which can be an unsingle or a top single but the extra high rib and unmentioned lower heel drop on the stock allows for a more heads up gun mount. Phil Kiner says that the crossfire problem should be solved by whatever is necessary for the individual shooter. I am trying to get by with the rib blinder concept where I cannot see the front bead with my left eye but I use both eyes open and consequently I can see right through the high rib and can get into trouble by shooting off the mass of the barrel instead of looking over the rib. If you close the off shoulder eye or use an occluder like a tape patch the rib will appear solid and not transparent so you should be able to use a high rib without the visual disconnect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts