Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many out there have encountered problems with higher rib trap guns such as the K-80 trap special? Any details you include would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon Reitz

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have never had any good success with high rib guns, and have since sold all of them. I just can't shoot with an inch high rib. I must shoot off the end of the barrel, as part of my sight picture.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shot a couple trap specials quite a few years ago and had troubles on both corners (1 & 5). After several years I bought and began shooting one. It worked okay for a couple years. Now I'm having all kinds of troubles with it in all three disciplines. It is no longer comfortable to shoot in any way. I can no longer get a good look at a target exiting the house. The move to the target is terrible. I seem to be behind everything. I'm getting occasional flinches, despite double release triggers. Looking for additional information and comments.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some have mentioned that as they got older they found that shooting the higher rib guns became very difficult, if not nearly impossible. Several shooters have migrated to top singles. I'm starting to think The higher rib has finally run its course for me. Keep them coming...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Reading the posts here I'm getting the impression several are using the term to describe an unsingle, is this correct? I have never been able to handle an unsingle, but many in my area do, and quite well! And many of these folks are well into their 60s and 70s. The K80 trap special in top single or unsingle is NOT a high rib, imo. I shoot the top single version. They are more of a mid height rib, much the same as an mx10 Perazzi.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Reading the posts here I'm getting the impression several are using the term to describe an unsingle, is this correct? I have never been able to handle an unsingle, but many in my area do, and quite well! And many of these folks are well into their 60s and 70s. The K80 trap special in top single or unsingle is NOT a high rib, imo. I shoot the top single version.
the only problem I have with my CG unsingle is I wish I had started shooting it years ago.

jack mc

·
Registered
557 Posts
Jon, some shooters shoot a low impacting top single and to obtain good results the barrel has to come into the target almost covering it, a high rib gun set to impact a little higher then may cause confusion, another problem with the watching the target leaving the house is you shoot at the streak, not a whole hittable target! Try to raise you gun more, wait until the target clears the rib you will see a clear target THEN go to it and shoot it! all the best, incinerate em!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I used to shoot a High Rib Bottom Single, and went to a Low Rib Top Single. I tried the top single for
two years without success, now going back to the high rib bottom single. I just turned 70.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I believe that a lot more people than care to admit it cannot shoot an unsingle. Unintentionally shoot off the muzzle with a top single and the margin of error isn't hateful but with an unsingle, the result usually is a lost target.

I bought an unsingle - a K80 - in 1989 and although I was a new, low-scoring shooter, I could never achieve the consistency with it that I enjoyed with a lower-rib KS-5. In fact, my 870TC was always my self-confidence's "get well" gun. I finally discovered by shooting both K-guns at 100 targets on the same day over the same traps that when the skies darkened for any reason, I missed several targets in a row with the K-80 but not with the KS-5. My scores were 76 and 94 and I'll bet you can guess which gun shot which score but if not, that was the last time I shot the K-80. Yes, all three guns were adjusted to shoot to the same POI. I went on to break multiple 200s and make the 27 with a Model 32 Vandalia-rib top single combo.

To further prove that I was a trapshooter (read: a little nuts), the last new trap gun I bought and the one I would be using today if my shoulders would permit shooting trap again is an unsingle combo, I bought it because my shooting had declined so winning scores weren't really possible with any gun and our son has a top single combo so this way, I will leave him with one of each.

Ed

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For clarification, I shot a couple different K-80 unsingle combos. These were both conventional unsingles, before finally switching to a trap special with the higher rib (not a pro rib). I shot it pretty well before I started having problems shooting it.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I started with an O/U, then bought a top single, then bought an Unsingle, then a combo, then another combo. I shot all of them well, some better than others. Fit is more important I think than the rib.

My last 2 combos are both Unsingles and one I shoot VERY well, one not so much. My issue is POI and fit more than anything else. However I just bought another top single and once I get it in my hands, hope it shoots well also for me.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have shot with the high rib TMX for 30 years but I am having increasing difficulty with occasional not consistent cross-firing. I find the conventional rib MX-3 Single more intuitive to point. In the early days of the DB81 and TMX many shooters (including Dan Bonillas) bought one and later sold it because of the visual disconnect they would get especially in bad light conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't have any issues with higher ribs and actually like them and thought I had slightly better vision. After a 9 year lay off from trap shooting I'm now shooting a low rib gun and though I like the gun I'm shooting no where near the scores I used to. It'll come, I hope, but it's going to take more targets.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have been considering a high ribbed gun. I was leaning towards a CG. I'm shooting a bt 100. I wasn't getting along with it for some reason. I have been shooting better lately. So I'm reconsidering...My Question is; isn't the reason to shoot a high rib gun is to shoot with a more heads-up posture, and the bottom single the recoil is directed lower, more in line with the middle of the pocket of the shoulder...reducing much of the felt recoil?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Shot a Kolar unsingle really well for about 3 yrs., won the state handicap championship 99, then mystery misses usually on straightaways. Took a Kiner clinic, Phil said I was shooting thru the rib and off the barrel. Bought a fixed rib top single and good scores returned. Just saw my old unsingle barrel for sale again on TS.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts