Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some Stagg 134 proof, Bourbon--Since I'm not a Bourbon drinker--what is the best way to drink this miracle booze?

Phil Berkowitz

·
Premium Member
18,860 Posts
For God's sake, don't light a cigarette. LOL.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
if your not used to wiskey taste and can't drink it with a little water and ice, you might want to make Old fashions or Manhantan's to good to mix with coke.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
room temp.....I like your style Milt....but no cigar lol

Even with beer I like it on the cooler side (not warm) instead of ice cold. More flavor that way.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I've never had a bourbon with that high alcohol content. I find anything above about 100 proof to be harsh when taken neat. This is just me, so try it for yourself.

I'd cut it with a little cold water, or put it over ice and let it melt just a little.

I like the ice cubes above, 2" cubes. Melt slowly, and they look rather cool.

Danny

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Right on !

I have some 103 Fighting Cock Bourbon. It's rather hot with heavy rye.

Goes good with two rocks to tame down too a low roar.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
"Stagg Jr. Bourbon, an uncut and unfiltered bourbon whiskey with a renowned family name. The first batch of Stagg Jr. is comprised of barrels aged for eight and nine years. The proof weighs in at a whopping 134.4 proof (67.2% ABV). Future releases will undoubtedly be different proofs, as each batch is unique and no water is added. Just like George T. Stagg Bourbon, this new whiskey is not filtered and offers all the rich and complex flavors of bourbon right from the barrel. Bottles of Stagg Jr. will be limited, but several batches each year are planned. This new Stagg Jr. offering will not affect the stock of barrels already set aside for future George T. Stagg releases.

"Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley describes that taste as, 'rich, sweet, chocolate and brown sugar flavors mingled in perfect balance with a bold, rye spiciness. The boundless finish lingers with hints of cherries, cloves and smokiness.'
'We’ve been aging these barrels for years in anticipation of this Stagg Jr. offering,' said Kris Comstock, bourbon marketing director. 'George T. Stagg has won countless awards, but we’re delighted to introduce Stagg Jr., which should be a bit more accessible.'"

This is really top notch stuff! 1or 2 ice cubes made with distilled water in a wide mouth glass (so you can enjoy the bouquet..).

Phil, enjoy the experience!

Bob

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Do like my Grandpa did. Pour it over ice and leave just enough room for a splash of water. Take a few sips, then add more water, then a few sips, and add more water. He would then say "Perfect"!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like my bourbon neat (as directly from the bottle) and cold. I keep a bottle of Rebel Yell 90 proof or Weller's on my workbench in the garage. I take a nip of it when i get near the workbench (except on school mornings).

To me, 90 proof is just about right. Higher proof bourbons and other spirits need a little water to smooth them out.

I still have a 5th of Very Very Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 100 proof I am saving for a 1st grandchild.

134 proof is not for the young.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Ed,

I think Rebel Yell should be called Northern wisper... Pretty smooth for a cheap pour. Wellers is better yet. They are both heavy wheated bourbons.

Having some Fitzgerald right now for the first time, not bad.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I'm a wuss,..anything that strong I'll save for de-icing my fuel lines....I prefer nice mild Southern Comfort by the shot thats been chilled by putting in a shaker with ice then strained into a glass for a slow slug..at my age lifes too short to waste the time to just sip

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Shannon391:

My understanding is that Daniel Weller came to Kentucky on a flatboat around the year 1794 and began to make bourbon whiskey. The Weller family, along with such names as J. P. Stitzel, John Fitzgerald and J. P. Van Winkle are intertwined with a history of world class bourbon whiskeys.

Various distilleries were opened and closed from 1800 to the current day and are intertwined with the history of Kentucky.

The company’s brands included Wellers, Old Fitzgerald, Cabin Still, Rebel Yell, Rip Van Winkle, Kentucky Oaks, Pappy Van Winkle and a few others. They also made various private label bourbons for hotels such as Hilton.

These brands have been sold to various companies but are made according to their original formulas. These brands were made from at least 51% corn plus wheat and sometimes rye. Buffalo Trace currently manufactures Wellers and Pappy Van Winkle.

My dad was an ice cream salesman and through his association with a Stitzel-Weller salesman, I received a framed commission as a Brigadier General in the Rebel Yell Brigade in 1967. In those days, Rebel Yell was always 90 proof and was not to be sold or transported above the Mason-Dixon Line.

Ed Ward

1 - 20 of 21 Posts