Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new sporting clay shooter here, but not a new shooter, so please forgive my ignorance. I am looking for information about shooting this sport, I have a Remington 870 magnum express in 20g and will be starting this adventure with it. I would like information on what gear you use, how do you cary extra rounds to the trap for one, how about hearing protections, eye? I have seen some men and women wear gloves, why? What benefit do they serve? Is it cheeper to reload? ( I do that with my rifles and larger caliber pistol rounds.) How much benefit is there to tailoring the round for your use? I will also add to this that I am physically a bit limited in my ability to carry or walk distances. The 20g sounds like a better choice for me due to recoil, yes? I will need to think about a carryall for supplies. What is out there? Make my own? how about the round itself? What Gauge/weight/length/ shell do you suggest? I know, lots of question for the first post, but i hope i can find the help rather quickly, I have the opportunity to do a shoot with my son at his College. Imagine that, a modern college with a shooting group that they actually support and put their name on. But hey, go figure this next, it IS a Texas college.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,568 Posts
Welcome to trapshooters!
Start with a decent range bag that'll hold at least 4 boxes of shells, muffs, chokes, glasses, gloves, water and a few what-nots. I use a "Range-Maxx" bag. Prior to that I used a tackle bag from Walmart. No need to go all out unless $$$ isnt an issue.
I use electronic muffs so I'm not pulling plugs out constantly to talk and not all scorekeepers scream. Low profile muffs don't interfere with my stock. Try a few pair out and look for softness in the ear cups. With the arm of the glasses behind your ear, a day of wearing them can result in discomfort with a stiff cup.
Eye protection varies and so do the tint of the lenses. You'll need some regardless, the color choice is up to you.
Gloves provide a good grip and protect you hand from the forend iron during high volume shooting. It can and will get very hot. Not much of an issue on a pump gun. My first registered shoot was proof enough when I could clearly see the outline of my iron on my left palm. It's something how hot it can get when not given time to cool between rounds. Also something worth considering when shopping for a new gun.
Some reload to produce a premium round while paying promo prices. I don't reload...yet. I have the loader but dont have the time.
I've seen everything from strollers to all out gun toting limos. I've thought about pimping out a golf caddie...fitting it with a rack, shell and bag holder. Until then I just carry my stuff.
Not all 20ga guns shoot as soft as a 1oz 12ga. especially when weight of the gun if factored in. A 20ga H&R kicks like a mule compared to my 12ga, even with heavy loads...Try a 12ga one oz light load for singles up to the 23yd line, it'll smoke a target. I use pretty much 3dr 1-1/8 7-1/2 @ 1200fps for everything just to keep it simple but my guns are soft shooters and over 9lbs each.

·
Banned
3,051 Posts
Welcome to a great sport and people!
Don't be disillusioned...shoot it a couple of times with your 20ga, and if you think you are going to do it, get a 12ga. You are behind the 8 ball if you stick with the 20ga for trap and want to be serious about it at all.
Best gun for the cheapest price (if you don't want to invest a lot ) IMO would be the Remington Competition/ Black Stock Adjustable Comb...great gun for the money!
Soft shooter ! Plus, you could use it for Sporting Clays also.

Good luck to ya!
Jeff

·
Registered
425 Posts
"I am a brand new sporting clay shooter here, -------------- how do you cary extra rounds to the trap for one,"

Are you wanting to shoot Sporting Clays or Trap ? Each game will need the same basic gear but there will be different needs for each game also .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a garage sale baby stroller that I modified to carry a gun or 2, shells, water, bug spray, etc.
You can start with what you have and have fun. You're at a disadvantage with a 20, so you may want to borrow a 12ga semi like a rem 1100 and see how you hand the recoil.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

WOW you ask a lot of questions in a short time,

Do not worry so much, Take what you have and head to your local club,
The real ambassadors to the sport will step up and offer you help and advice,
The grumpy old timers will sneer at you,, Walk on by those guys,

You will always find advice and humor here as well.

You picked something that is very enjoyable and will offer years of enjoyment not only with your son, But new fellow shooters you will meet.

DGH

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome to Trapshooting ! You will meet a lot of fun and interesting people in the sport, and even on this message board.

Would suggest trying a 12 gauge. You can use 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads. Recoil should not be much of a problem if you select a good 1 oz load, some even sell reduced recoil ammo. A good 1 oz 1200 fps shell should be good. Proper shooting stance can even mitigate the gun's recoil.

To learn your gun and the sport, try setting the trap house to throw only straightaways, and shoot from Post 3. You know where the bird will always be and you can learn where your gun shoots. Consistently smoking targets will build your confidence and the game will seem "easy". Then move to Posts 2 or 4 and shoot the same birds, although these will now be at an angle. It will help you develop your leads on these birds. The learning curve will be quicker as you progress, and you can then move to the outside Posts. Then go ahead and let the trap oscillate.

I wear gloves when I shoot, this is more a personal preference in the summer, necessity in the winter. It is something I am used to and helps me grip the gun better, especially when it gets hot.

Reloading will require an investment in equipment and components, and the big determinant will be how much you will shoot. From the outset, save your hulls to reload later, or you can sell them for a few pennies a piece if you decide not to reload. Select premium shells to reload, preferably STS, AA, Gold Medals. Remington Gun Clubs, Clay and Field or Top Guns can work also. Having already reloaded rifle and pistol you are somewhat familiar with the process, although shotshells are different; cleaning up spilled shot can be a pain not experienced with rifles.

If you wear prescription glasses, most should be sufficient for shooting. Otherwise a standard pair of shooting glasses would be good for starters. In-the-ear plugs seem to work best. The soft foam ones are okay, you can pick up the rubber baffle ones in a sporting goods store.

Where does your son go to school ? Always good to recognize colleges that support our sport.

Best of luck in your new sport. Have fun !

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a brand new sporting clay shooter here, but not a new shooter, so please forgive my ignorance. I am looking for information about shooting this sport, I have a Remington 870 magnum express in 20g and will be starting this adventure with it. I would like information on what gear you use, how do you cary extra rounds to the trap for one, how about hearing protections, eye? I have seen some men and women wear gloves, why? What benefit do they serve? Is it cheeper to reload? ( I do that with my rifles and larger caliber pistol rounds.) How much benefit is there to tailoring the round for your use? I will also add to this that I am physically a bit limited in my ability to carry or walk distances. The 20g sounds like a better choice for me due to recoil, yes? I will need to think about a carryall for supplies. What is out there? Make my own? how about the round itself? What Gauge/weight/length/ shell do you suggest? I know, lots of question for the first post, but i hope i can find the help rather quickly, I have the opportunity to do a shoot with my son at his College. Imagine that, a modern college with a shooting group that they actually support and put their name on. But hey, go figure this next, it IS a Texas college.

Always like to see new shooters getting into the sport. Just wanted to give you a little advice, but realize everyone has advise to offer. The 870 is a good gun to start. Not the choice of a lot of people but it will get the job done. I wouldn't rush out and buy a gun until you learn more about the sport and develop a opinion of you own about the right gun for you. I would say that a good fitting gun is important. I have seen people spend a lot of money on expensive guns and can shoot a Mossburg better (nothing wrong with Mossburg's). Regardless of the gun you use it must shoot where you point it. I would recommend visiting shooting-concepts.com. As far as the equipment needed, get good ear protection. Foam ear plugs work very well, if used correctly. You may choose to use something different later but they do a pretty good job. Next is eye protection. Get shooting glasses. If you wear prescription glasses now, you may want to get some prescription shooting glasses with multi color lenses. If you don't wear prescription glasses get some shooting glasses for sunny or cloudy conditions. Again I don't want to get into the whole brand discussion issue. As far as gauge of shotgun, I would recommend a 12 ga. If I wasn't going to use a 12 ga I would use a 20 ga. I will say the 870 is not a gun I would personally use in a 12 ga. It can be a little rough on the shoulder after a few rounds. You should be good with a 20 ga in a 870. If you are worried about recoil there are several options in amo and recoil reducing equipment on the market. I personally don't think all that is necessary if you have a good fitting gun and use a target load shell (2 3/4 DR 1 oz. ) shell. I am a shooting coach for a school and have middle school boys and girls shooting 12 ga. I realize you are going to get a lot of advise. This just from someone who has been been there. Good Luck...

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TS.com!!!

Your 20 ga. auto will work just fine. Enjoy!!!

Use whatever you have around the house to carry your 4 boxes of shells (eye's and ear's, chokes, misc) to start with. A simple duffle bag, a fishing box, a ammo box, even a cardboard box will work.

Clear plastic lens will be fine to start. Browning and Beretta both make some inexpensive colored shooting glasses that are not Rx for a good price. Colors are nice to enhance your ability to see the target better, but wait until you know what colors you like.

Get some simple foam ear plugs that have a 29 to 32 NRR rating.

Gloves---unless your body oil's are acidic, or you are cold---you don't need them. Some shooters body oil's or sweat can be acidic and cause guns to rust, or remove the gun's bluing very quickly, so they need to wear gloves to stop this.

Reloading----Unless you want to spend over a grand to get started to save a dollar a box---forgetaboutit!!!

Practice mounting your gun in front of a mirror at home. Try to keep your eye's and shoulders level to the ground, and your gun in a normal position that is not canted to the side. The rib on the gun should be level as well. Now practice your gun mounts and moving the gun without using your arms. Use your lower body to move the gun left and right, and just raise your back up to raise the gun up (you need to lean forward in your gun mount to start with). Practicing your gun mounts at home will help you improve 3 times faster than not doing so. So Good Luck to Ya and enjoy your Journey in the Shooting Sports. Now try to Go Out, and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all, thank you all for the responses, I really did not expect the large influx of information.

Let me follow up with a deeper question. Recoil. I am physically disabled for several reasons, be that as it is, I can still stand and trigger. My body is the issue, recoil WILL be an issue for me and I will have to grow into it. It is the impact of the recoil, not the rolling of the body to lessen it that will hurt most. Let me try and break it down further, it is the punch, the initial bite of the recoil that hurts, not the roll of the body allowing the shoulder to absorb the shot that hurts. A few of you mentioned soft shooting guns? Weight is a factor for me, but less so to recoil, so please include what you know about that issue as well? Thank you again gents, Thank you all very much. I say gents, if you are a lady, sound off so I can include you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Always like to see new shooters getting into the sport. Just wanted to give you a little advice, but realize everyone has advise to offer. The 870 is a good gun to start. Not the choice of a lot of people but it will get the job done. I wouldn't rush out and buy a gun until you learn more about the sport and develop a opinion of you own about the right gun for you. I would say that a good fitting gun is important. I have seen people spend a lot of money on expensive guns and can shoot a Mossburg better (nothing wrong with Mossburg's). Regardless of the gun you use it must shoot where you point it. I would recommend visiting shooting-concepts.com. As far as the equipment needed, get good ear protection. Foam ear plugs work very well, if used correctly. You may choose to use something different later but they do a pretty good job. Next is eye protection. Get shooting glasses. If you wear prescription glasses now, you may want to get some prescription shooting glasses with multi color lenses. If you don't wear prescription glasses get some shooting glasses for sunny or cloudy conditions. Again I don't want to get into the whole brand discussion issue. As far as gauge of shotgun, I would recommend a 12 ga. If I wasn't going to use a 12 ga I would use a 20 ga. I will say the 870 is not a gun I would personally use in a 12 ga. It can be a little rough on the shoulder after a few rounds. You should be good with a 20 ga in a 870. If you are worried about recoil there are several options in amo and recoil reducing equipment on the market. I personally don't think all that is necessary if you have a good fitting gun and use a target load shell (2 3/4 DR 1 oz. ) shell. I am a shooting coach for a school and have middle school boys and girls shooting 12 ga. I realize you are going to get a lot of advise. This just from someone who has been been there. Good Luck...

I notice most of the people I am getting replies from are advising a 12 Ga. I have several of those, ok, maybe 4. All different, all viable I think. I have an all wood Mossy with a 500 pump action that I just love and have not shot in a long time. I also have a Remington semi-auto that needed a new barrel after so many rounds through it that is knocked the end off. Yikes, that is a lot of shooting. I bring this up because I fired the semi-auto and it seemed to kick like a mule, where the 500 was much "softer" if compared. Advice? Is the semi having issues? Oh! Barrel flags? Or action flags? Any thoughts on where to get one? If so, what are they called? My searches are fruitless.. Thanks again.

I also have a Remington semi-auto that needed a new barrel after so many rounds through it that is knocked the end off. Yikes, that is a lot of shooting. I bring this up because I fired the semi-auto and it seemed to kick like a mule, where the 500 was much "softer" if compared. Advice? Is the semi having issues?
Welcome. Couple of questions about what you stated.
1) How do you knock the end off a Remington auto? Was the auto a pre 1100 model? You would have to shoot tens of thousands of shells through it just to cause some wear to the choke area.
2) A Remington 1100 doesn't kick more than a Mossberg 500 pump using the same shells unless there is something radically wrong with the auto. I shoot both and know. If the auto had something fired out of it that shouldn't have been (shot the end off) and damaged it that could account for the recoil. Something or things could be bent like the action bar. Take it to a gunsmith ASAP!
3) Shoot a 12 gauge with one ounce loads if recoil is an issue. No more recoil with 12g one ounce loads than a standard twenty gauge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1) How do you knock the end off a Remington auto? Was the auto a pre 1100 model? You would have to shoot tens of thousands of shells through it just to cause some wear to the choke area.
2) There is absolutely no way that a Remington 1100 kicks more than a Mossberg 500 pump using the same shells unless there is something radically wrong with the auto. I shoot both and know. If you shot something through the Remington that shouldn't have been shot through it (shot the end off) and damaged it that could account for the recoil. Take it to a gunsmith ASAP!
3) Shoot a 12 gauge with one ounce loads if recoil is an issue. No more recoil with 12g one ounce loads than a standard twenty gauge.
Ok, I am going to eat a LOT of crow here folks, I got confused between several of the shot guns I have. I just counted, 11. various gauges from .410 up and from singles to semi-autos. I even have a Damascus coach gun that unfortunately is mostly rust. Most of these are pass downs so remembering one from the other is not on the priorities list. The semi-auto is NOT a Remington, It is a Winchester. 1400 old enough to only be chambered for 2 3/4 shells with a full choke. I fired a 2 3/4 7.5 7/8 ounce through it and it just hits like a mule. Thoughts?

Bring out the pie pans and favorite dough, make sure there is lots of sugar in the recipe please? them feathers are kind of rough..

1. I have NO idea how the end got knocked off outside of the gun was used. A LOT by my father-in-law. He was an avid birder I am told but have not asked much about it. I do know the gun was new to his hand, and all rounds through it were factory rounds, no loads other than out of the box. I received the gun in trade for the some work done with a second barrel that was identical in every way but for the choke end being knocked off. My belief is that he just shot it that much.

2-3. I will agree with you that there has to be something wrong, I just needed to hear some one else say something about it. I will get it looked at as see what is said.

Next, chamber flags? any idea?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have NO idea how the end got knocked off outside of the gun was used.
If the end was blown off it was fired while obstructed or maybe it was a super tight full choke and a slug was fired out of it and it burst. Hard to say but one thing for sure is you don't blow the end off from normal use. I would have the gun checked by a gunsmith before using even with the new barrel. Take the old barrel with you and the gun and tell him what it is doing when you shoot it.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
I think the chamber flags you mentioned are used by handgun and rifle shooters. They aren't necessary for trap shooting. To be honest, I can't recall seeing one ever used in trap. Just keep the action open at all times until you are on the line and it's you're turn to shoot.
George

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.