Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my protector pard of many years at 79 has desided to call it quits .He just gave me 3 cases of Hornaday versalite wads .They seem in great shape, just half to come up with a load using super handicap powder.Sure going to miss shooting with him,a great friend always since 1968.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Hodgdon's wad substitution chart says the Down Range DRV-12 is a substitute for the Versalite. The DR website has data for the DRV-12, but no WSH. If you have 3 cases of them, it might be worth the time and money to make up some loads using your best judgment and send them off to be tested. You might also do some measurements to see how they differ from whatever wad it is you currently are using with the WSH.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi all, my protector pard of many years at 79 has desided to call it quits .He just gave me 3 cases of Hornaday versalite wads .They seem in great shape, just half to come up with a load using super handicap powder.Sure going to miss shooting with him,a great friend always since 1968.
I did check a old IMR manual I have and they show a Remington blue magic hull, 17 grains 700x, fed 209 primer, 1-1/8 th shot with either a versalite wad or a waa12 wad for 1145fps. 9500 lup on versalite wad and 9600 lup on the waa 12 wad. I am referencing this to you for wad comparison only. Like mentioned previously load some up to test but according to this data they will be close in performance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I recently got 2-3k of those wads when I bought some shot. I haven’t loaded any yet but I’m planning on it. There is some loading data with mine, I will take a picture and post it. I also remember finding some loads on the Hodgdon site for them.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
I did check a old IMR manual I have and they show a Remington blue magic hull, 17 grains 700x, fed 209 primer, 1-1/8 th shot with either a versalite wad or a waa12 wad for 1145fps. 9500 lup on versalite wad and 9600 lup on the waa 12 wad. I am referencing this to you for wad comparison only. Like mentioned previously load some up to test but according to this data they will be close in performance.
Check to make sure the reference isn't to the "Verelite" wad instead of the "Versalite" wad. Two different wads, the crush sections are different. I don't know if they produce different ballistics.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I loaded up a box last night using the data that I posted a picture of a few posts up. The load I did was AACF, 17 gr 700x, 1 1/8 shot, Win 209. Ran out this morning with a buddy and shot some hand thrown targets and these loads seemed to work great. I walked out and found some of the wads and it looked like they performed as they should. I think I will load up a couple flats of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts