Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The jest of the article was that a communications official at the Health and Human Services Department warned in a bizarre Facebook Live session that political opponents 'are going to have to kill me' and If you carry guns, buy ammunition. Ok whatever but it did get me to thinking about my new MEC reloading station.

Out of all my long guns most (99%) are shotguns and my reloading is for all intent and purposes is for Clay targets. Do any of you reload shot shells for home defense and if so what do you load? I did run across a YouTube video of a guy using a MEC 9000 to load 00 buckshot using the machine in a somewhat manual mode (only using powder drop). Also saw some slugs in bulk during my travels but never loaded anything other than 7.5 & 8.

Dennis

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am sure that some do but as a person who is still carrying some #7 1/2 shot from a supposed hunting accident I think anything from the muzzle of shotgun is deterrent enough.

·
Premium Member
11,935 Posts
Remember that a shotgun load, (even 7 1/2 or 8) will perform like a slug at close range. How long is the hallway in your house?? 7 ~ 8 yards??

You will get one large, nasty wound it you fire at that distance...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure that some do but as a person who is still carrying some #7 1/2 shot from a supposed hunting accident I think anything from the muzzle of shotgun is deterrent enough.
Cool, didn't know you went hunting with Dick Cheney :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Depending on your house and location, you should also consider the over-penatration of solids or large buckshot. In a city enviorment with other houses nearby, you could end up like far to many gang-bangers by injuring some innocent in a nearby house or apartment. 7 1/2's have much less, but still some, possible penetration issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on your house and location, you should also consider the over-penatration of solids or large buckshot. In a city enviorment with other houses nearby, you could end up like far to many gang-bangers by injuring some innocent in a nearby house or apartment. 7 1/2's have much less, but still some, possible penetration issues.
Not sure that would be an issue in my case but I get your point.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just emailed G2 and asked if the RIP slug could be purchased unloaded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would recommend 7 1/2 in your home, so as not to tear up to much structure & furnishings (TV, Frig, etc.).
Outside, load up with DOUBLE OUGHT BUCK, and lay it to them.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

·
Registered
100 Posts
Less than 1 oz of copper coated steel BBs at max velocity equals superb pattern at 3-10 yds, and MAY not penetrate outside walls.

I have used on snakes with 100% first shot kills.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Rooster/Intruder load
1-1/4 ounce of plated #5 going 1330 FPS. They will have plenty of punch all the way to the back fence.
No shirt or feathers stuck in the meat either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts