Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 8-1/2 just for skeet ?

are they too light for 16 yds?

Should I keep my F in or open it up a bit for better pattern?

Whats this I hear GD is not good for cold weather shooting ???

·
Registered
401 Posts
i loaded a max load of 9's and used a full choke. The birds disappeared from the 16 yardline. no smoke, just disappeared.

Mike

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
You sure can. I was @ the Grand in 2008. Demo'ed a Beretta UGB. No clue what choke was in it. The only shells I had on me were 1 1/8oz #9 AAs. Absolutely inkballed 24x25.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have been using 8 1/2 for singles all year round, 24 thousands, and it smoke ball's targets.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
My 16 yard shooting with 7/8 oz of 9s gave me several 100s; more than before with the usual mantra. I never would have tried it had I not grabbed skeet loads to join a buddy wanting another shooter with him at the practice trap. Worked good at 25 yards too, same conditions.......breakemall

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
They're great for cold weather shooting from the 27 yd. line, using a cylinder choke....

and please play all the options!!

Curt

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
#1..No

#2..No

#3..Full or IM or Mod all make good patterns....Better is subjective

#4..GD is great in all weather, use the right primer, and keep pressures at 9500, and you are good to go. I live in NE Indiana.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Many can smoke them but why take a chance?

I guess it depends on ability, if you have a 86 average, does it matter?

If you are in the top percentile, I think one target could mean everything.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The USAMU used to shoot Int'l Skeet with Federal T-123 shells, 3.5dr, 1&1/8 oz. of #10 shot. You can't believe what that did to a target! I still have a box of them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Broke my 1st 100 with 1 1/8 - 8.5 - modified choke - Beretta AL391 30" - Briley MOD choke I bought from Jack Concannon at the VA State Shoot....

FR

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Shannon If I were in the top percentile I doubt Id be asking :eek:)

Im very gratful for this site and all the help I can get with my shooting.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I don't smokem, they vanish, with a .015 Briley s2 Extended in my Infinity. I hope to get my strength up again so I can get away from my slam-matic with a #3 Muller that does the same thing. 1 oz of 81/2 @ 1180 will kill anything from the 16.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Sure you can. You can also smoke em with #8 or #7 1/2. But the thing is you still need to point the gun in the right direction to make it happen - nothing magic about the shot size.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Best factory shell I ever used was Federal Gold Medal 1oz. 8.5's....I shot some big singles and doubles scores with them.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
152 Posts
From the 16 yd. line you can routinely achieve solid breaks even with #9's when you do your part. For anything further back than about 20 yds. and assuming you're the kind of shooter who can put the core of the pattern on the target every time, I personally think you are short changing yourself with anything smaller than #8's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.