Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which choke tubes are approved for shooting steel and hevi-shot?

Also, what choke should I order for the hevi-shot/steel shells to give me the same patterns as an improved modified on bottom barrel and a extra full on top barrel with lead? (Is there a "rule of thumb" when changing to steel shot?)

Now that California is non-lead on wildlife refuges, I am forced to purchase new chokes for a used (new to me) barrel I was forced to buy (and have fitted) that is steel approved (has the fleur-de-lis stamp).

Thanks to all replies!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hevishot makes their own tubes that are wad-strippers. Patternmaster and Kicks are also wad-strippers. They separate the wad on exit from the shot to shorten the shot string and give you dense patterns. Briley and Carlson make constriction type chokes for steel. It's all in how much you want to spend and what you're looking for. I use Patternmaster chokes with HeviMetal for waterfowl and they perform great!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have some older RemChokes in 10 ga. and 12 ga. that have dual markings. For example: "Full Steel, Mod Lead". My pattern tests with #1 through BBB steel showed little if any actual increase in pellets striking a 30" circle with chokes tighter than (lead) Modified. I concluded that for geese and ducks that were decoying, I use Improved Cylinder. If the birds are making passes just beyond the decoys but not coming in, I use Light Mod but Mod would work as well.
I hope you have great hunting success. -Ed

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patternmaster doesn't make chokes for a Perazzi, at least I don't see that as an option on their website.

Anyone else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts