Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 Grand American Handicap winner and local icon Herman Welch of Morris, Il. passed away last night, 12/17.

Herman lived a great life, he and his beloved wife Lorraine hunted and fished together all over the country. She passed away several years ago.

He is a member of the Illinois Trapshooting Hall of fame and has registered 40,950 singles, 29,100 caps and 17,000 doubles. He last registered targets in 2008.

At the age of 93 Herman was still as sharp as a tack and loved to reminisce about his many life experiences. Herman died in his sleep at his home, after having blueberry pie before going to bed. I'm sure he was content. He was cherished by all who knew him and will be greatly missed.

Obituary and services posted at link above. Visitation 12/26 from 2 to 9pm & 12/27 from 8am until 11am at Dames Funeral Home in Morris, details at link.

God speed my friend, rest in peace. Harv

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I knew Herman back in the mid 70's. Shot with him at Electro-Motive in Mc Cook.Last I saw him was in 2011 at Downers for his handicap shoot. There will be a big hole in trapshooting with Herman gone. God rest his soul.

Ken Cerney
Wisconsin

·
Registered
825 Posts
"The passing of our Brother from the cares and troubles of this transitory existence has removed another link from the fraternal chain which binds us together.

May we who survive him be more strongly bound in the ties of union and friendship.

May we, during the short space allotted to us here, wisely and usefully employ our time, and in the interchange of kind and friendly acts mutually promote the welfare and happiness of each other."

RIP Brother, he's just starting the last box for his next hundred straight with all of the other greats.

Rick Gibbs

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Saw him at the last downers grove shoot,he looked like he was having a tough time of it then,his eyes lit up when I asked him about winning the grand and he told I and a friend all about that wonderful day,it was good to hear about.
He seamed like such a nice Man,sorry to hear of his passing and best wishes to his family.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Leo and I had the honor of meeting Herman at Downer's a few years back when we were there for a clinic. What a gentleman! I'm sure they will be waiting for him in Heaven's gun club.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I knew Herman when I lived in Illinois in the 70s and early 80s. He was always a great guy and a real gentleman.

R I P Mr. Welch

Clif Adams

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was at the Grand American when Herman won the Grand American Handicap with his Model 12..I am not sure but I think he purchased a Ljutic with the prize money..I will always remember this as that was the year that I purchased a 67 Chevrolet Hardtop with a 327 engine and 4 speed..Herman was one of the nice guys in the shooting community,,He will join his friend Connie from the Downers club on Lemont road..I think he moved to Morris Il just to follow the club,..

·
Registered
825 Posts
Tentative Arrangements are as follows.

Thursday, 12-26-13 visitation, starting 2PM

Thursday, 7PM Masonic Funeral Rites Line up 6:30

I will advise of time for Shrine Walk thru

Friday, 12-27 Interment of Cremains @ Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery time TBD

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, can you do the "tree on the hill" service? Harv

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added the link to Herman's obituary and services. There is also an online guestbook.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Harv, I remember you asking me about this service after I did your father in laws funeral. I have asked several people including Grand Lecturers that have been doing it for over 50 years and none of them are aware of this particular ritual. One of them opinioned that The Master was reciting a poem in addition to the Masonic Funeral Ritual. Hope to see you there, Rick Gibbs

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm very sad to hear of Herman's passing.As past President of DGSC I asked Herman for his opinions and advice many times. He was always positive with his advice and was always looking to improve our organization. Trapshooting has lost one its great ambassadors and DGSC has lost a fine member and a great, gentle, and honest man. RIP my friend.
Dean Kerhulas

·
Registered
16 Posts
My grandsons brought news of Herman's passing. Needless to say it was a sad day at the Aichele house. I had the honor and knowing and shooting with Herman for the last several years. When my grandson Jake went to work at the club he and Herman became good friends. The last time we saw him was at the nursing home. When he saw Jake his eyes lit up and a great big smile cameto his face.When my wife wou;d come to pick me up he would smile and say "Hi Mrs. Ike" and they chat.He went out like he would have wanted with a piece of pie.We willall miss him and think we are better for have known him.

The Aichele Family

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well said Ike, see you Thursday. Harv

1 - 17 of 17 Posts