Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have loads for 28,20 and 12 with Unique and 800x. Been researching Herco a little and wondering if it would be a good single replacement for Unique and 800x.

When I get into heavier payloads, especially with 28 and 20, Unique starts getting a little on the quick side. ( 20 ga 1 oz and 28 13/16- 7/8 oz) Just wondering if Herco might be a better all around powder for these gauges when shooting both clay loadscand hunting loads.

Would like to hear that input along with charge throwing accuracy (800x not very good), size of flakes vs Unique and other comparisons you feel worth mentioning.

Thx in advance gentlemen!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Currently have loads for 28,20 and 12 with Unique and 800x. Been researching Herco a little and wondering if it would be a good single replacement for Unique and 800x.

When I get into heavier payloads, especially with 28 and 20, Unique starts getting a little on the quick side. ( 20 ga 1 oz and 28 13/16- 7/8 oz) Just wondering if Herco might be a better all around powder for these gauges when shooting both clay loadscand hunting loads.

Would like to hear that input along with charge throwing accuracy (800x not very good), size of flakes vs Unique and other comparisons you feel worth mentioning.

Thx in advance gentlemen!
use a lot of unique. very good results. best herco results were in the 16 ga. gun.

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Could you tell us a bit more about your usage? How much clay target shooting do you do vs. hunting? What shot weights do you use for each sport in each gauge?

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Herco is a decent powder for 12 gauge loads but not for loads under 1 1/8 ounce.
I interpreted the OP's question about switching from Unique to Herco was limited to the 20 and 28 ga., not 12 ga. I agree with you on using Herco in the 12 ga, unless it is for heavy field loads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually thinking of all 3 gauges.

In 28 my clay loads would be 3/4 to 13/16 oz. probably 2, maybe 3 flats a year. Hunting I would most likely buy my 7/8-1 oz loads as I would only go through 6-7 boxes

20 gauge my clay load would be 7/8 oz and in the 2-3 range of flats again. I would use Herco if I switched for my 1 oz hunting loads. Again probably 5-6 boxes a year. I use my 28 and 20 about 50/50.

In 12 I would most likely but one or two flats of 1 and/or 1 1/8 oz loads for clays. Don't shoot my 12 that much... for hunting loads Herco (or the Unique I have now) would load my 1 1/4 oz field loads well. Obviously waterfowl and turkey would just be purchased loads.

Since I shoot more 28 3/4- 13/16 oz loads and 20 7/8 and 1 oz loads I just thought the Herco might be a little more flexible loading for those.

Hope I make sense!
Thx

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
I would continue to use Unique for the 20 and 28 ga. clays loads and acquire a bottle of Herco to make the hunting loads in those gauges.

I'm having trouble following the reference to 12 ga. loading 1 1/4 oz. for waterfowl as that requires non-toxic shot requiring a completely different powder. Same with loading for turkeys; buying a box of 25 factory 1 1/4 oz. #6 should last several years.

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Sorry I confused you Nebs... I would buy my waterfowl and turkey loads. No loading for those.

Thx
Then, a reason to stay with Unique for the 12 ga. is it is a bit faster than Herco and will give you higher pressures, making for more consistent performance in colder weather. I would keep using the Unique for the 20 and 28 ga. target loads and get a bottle or two of Herco to use in the hunting loads in those gauges.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
I have used Herco in 20 and 28 for many years, prefer it over Unique. Lower pressures in tube guns, and good performance. Also, the option to warm up load a bit for the field.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I like Unique better. You need a little less of it and it is also a little bit denser taking up less room in the shell which is more important in the 20 and 28 gauge.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Herco for 28,16 and 12 ga crow loads at 1310 FPS
Used to use it in 20 as well but discovered international clay load I like better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m getting 1200fps in 3/4oz load #7.5 lead using Herco. No issues in breaking clays. I need to pattern more, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Skeety7, as I get older kind of have same attitude... less is more!

Trying to use up powders I have and go from 4-5 to a couple. KISS principle!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts