Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I know an old timer who wants to sell me a Herb Orr choked trap barrel. Anyone out there ever have any work done by Herb Orr or own one of his barrels that he worked on? He said he had him work on this barrel in the 60's at the grand in Ohio.

Anyone know if he signed or stamped his name on his barrel work? This guy wants more than the going price because it's a Herb Orr barrel.

What can any of you tell me about Herb Orr and his barrel work?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Some were stamped, some were not.

At the Grand, I had him do a choke for me on a M-12, by today's standards, it was stone age work.

He put the receiver in a vise, used a hand reamer with a big "T" handle, lots of oil, blew out the chips, grabbed another reamer with a different configuration, more oil and blew out the chips.

Didn't take 15 minutes, $75.

Pat

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
He did stamp his name on the one's that he did for me. He had two types, his "Super Choke" and his "Sweet Sixteen Choke". After he passed, his business was aquired by Stu Wright. Now that Stu has passed, I don't know who took over.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I really couldn't tell any great difference between the Herb Ore bbl I had and a factory bbl. It was a good hdcp bbl, "but" it might have been good before, I don't know because I bought it 2nd hand. So,,,,, would "I" pay a premium for a H.O. bbl again,,??? No. Ross Puls

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I really couldn't tell any great difference between the Herb Ore bbl I had and a factory bbl. It was a good hdcp bbl, "but" it might have been good before, I don't know because I bought it 2nd hand. So,,,,, would "I" pay a premium for a H.O. bbl again,,??? No. Ross Puls
Been there too. Save your money Steve.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had a RR BT99 that had a "Super 16" choke by Herb Orr. Sold the gun when I had to quit shooting.
It would smash targets from any yardage 16-27. The guy that owns it now says he is going to be
buried with the barrel, he likes it so much.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I watched him for a long time. His little booth was right in front of my camper at vandalia. What a hack. He must have worked on a bunch of barrels. He took a whole trunk load home every night. Not sure if he stamped all of them. Like p3at says. He used a big t handle and a reamer. A real SALESMAN. Guess snake oil rings a bell. Motordoctor

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I watched him for a long time. His little booth was right in front of my camper at vandalia. What a hack. He must have worked on a bunch of barrels. He took a whole trunk load home every night. Not sure if he stamped all of them. Like p3at says. He used a big t handle and a reamer. I think that he used to work for Winchester but not sure. Thought he worked on model 21's but not sure. A real SALESMAN. Guess snake oil rings a bell. Motordoctor
Prior to working for himself, he was the head factory Winchester man. He's in the ATA Hall of Fame. Look him up. I think that it might surprise you.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I have a M 12 with an Orr barrel and his name is stamped on it. The choke breaks birds the same 16 to 27 yards. I am impressed and have faith in it over factory barrel, I have other Mod 12 to compare it to. Now I have heard that also some of his barrels were junk. The proof would be in shooting it, good or bad.

Don

·
Banned
495 Posts
Herb, Was a friend of mine. He did a pair of BT-99 for me one for 16's and a handicap super choke. I shot them for a couple of years until I was robbed. I was very happy with the out come of the choke work. I have also heard the same stories that BIGDON referred to. I doubt if it was the choke's fault the targets were missed. Some shooters think having the gun worked on will improve their ability. Roger C.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I sent him a TM1 which shot to the left. I asked for, and paid for, a super 16 choke and a repair of the side-shooting.

When I got it back it still shot in the same place. I called him and he said I was wrong.

I fixed the gun myself. It didn't shot a lick better with the Herb Orr choke than it had with the Perazzi choke either, but by that time I was disillusioned anyway and may not have been particularly open-minded.

Neil

PS. I had a similar experiences more than once with other tuners.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Herb's business really came to attention when plastic wads appeared on the scene. Model 12's that shot tight chokes without the shot protector wads shot even tighter with them. He would open the barrels to produce a pattern equal or better then the gun would shoot without the plastic wads. Shooters loved the change and he made his fortune chewing on his cigar and reaming barrels. Got to know him over the years, a gentleman but he wasn't above telling someone they were wrong, about anything. It was his way or take it somewhere else!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Remember writing him a letter once. Had seen his picture in Gun Digest, with a story about his ability to improve shotgun performance by his favorite technique of "jug-choking". I had gotten a deal on a Win 101 skeet gun and wanted to use it to hunt with, so I asked him if he could help me. He did write back to inform me that "the Winchester barrels on that model are too thin to install choke tubes." and that I was out of luck. Seemed like a decent person from his letter. I like to think of him that way still today.

I believe this sport strongly promotes individualism, on both sides of the ledger. We're lucky to have discovered it.;)

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
854 Posts
I had many Orre chokes done by Herb. All I can tell you is that I won more than my share of fun shoots, tr0phies and my 27 yd pin with em. I'm no engineer or egg head, I do know they smoked targets like no other gun I have had since and I have had a bunch. jmho though.

·
Sky Buster
3,968 Posts
Remember writing him a letter once. Had seen his picture in Gun Digest, with a story about his ability to improve shotgun performance by his favorite technique of "jug-choking". I had gotten a deal on a Win 101 skeet gun and wanted to use it to hunt with, so I asked him if he could help me. He did write back to inform me that "the Winchester barrels on that model are too thin to install choke tubes." and that I was out of luck. Seemed like a decent person from his letter. I like to think of him that way still today.

I believe this sport strongly promotes individualism, on both sides of the ledger. We're lucky to have disco

Bob Falfa

I believe this sport strongly promotes individualism, on both sides of the ledger. We're lucky to have discovered it.;)

Bob Falfa

·
Sky Buster
3,968 Posts
I had many Orre chokes done by Herb. All I can tell you is that I won more than my share of fun shoots, tr0phies and my 27 yd pin with em. I'm no engineer or egg head, I do know they smoked targets like no other gun I have had since and I have had a bunch. jmho though.
I had Herb re-choke a Model 12 for me at Vandalia in the early '80's.
I never shot that gun well after it was re-choked. Everything was chip's.
I should have left it the way Winchester designed it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
.022 was the constriction on mod. 12 barrells. this is what i have noticed on all that i have digitized. did not record any taper at all. thnks howard

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had him choke for my 1100 duck and goose barrel in 1973 at the grand . I just loved that bbl.it was a 34 in. I broke 248 out of 250 with it at our summer league shoot . had 8 25 straights 6 of them in a row . back then almost everyone had his choke . $35.00 overnight service at vandalia .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts