Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Hemingway and his shooting has been discussed in the Forum. Easy to search and find.

Recently I contacted the JFK Library and purchased a very high resolution download of the picture below. I ordered a 12" x 12" print online from a company called WhiteWall Photo Lab. It should arrive this week. The digital purchase and print all together cost me $76 ($26 from library and $50 for the print).

I'm a Hemingway fan. Hemingway's Guns is a fantastic reference. My wife thinks I'm obsessed. But I promise my Hemingway obsession cost less than her trips to Sephora.

Ernest Hemingway - Club de Cazadores del Cerro, Rancho Boyeros, Cuba. (1942-1943). Unique identifier EH01001N, John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.

Cloud Sky Flash photography Gesture Black-and-white

·
Registered
966 Posts
I took Hotchner's book, "Papa" on a long business trip to the Big Island of Hawaii when we were building the Keck telescope. It's quite a read.
A few years later ('93?) I was going on a rafting trip down the Salmon River in Idaho. We were all going to meet up in Sun Valley and while I was waiting, I took a trip up to see Hemingway's memorial. It's a nice quiet place on Trail Creek off the 408 road. If you're ever in the area, you should stop by.

Once we all met up, I took them up to visit the memorial. Just up the road is the Sun Valley Gun Club. I had just started trapshooting and I was able to rent an 1100 and introduce my friends to my new activity. One young lady who was the girl friend of one of my friends was from New York City and I could tell she was not interested in anything to do with guns but I encouraged her to just try a couple of shots from post #3. I think she broke her first target and the smile on her face was just perfect. She liked it!

I'd like to think I'd done my part that day to present the shooting sports in a positive light.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
A few comments about Hemingway.

"Papa" was quite a man. How many of us would go into the bush with a Model 12 loaded with #8 shot to finish off a wounded leopard? According to Hemingway, at very short range, the small shot was devastating. As young writer in Paris, Hemingway would supplement his limited funds by working as a sparring partner.

Hemingway’s book The Green Hills of Africa, which he wrote from personal experiences, is a great read.

A, E. Hotchner's book, "Papa" is a wonderful read. A. E. Hotchner and Paul Neuman were neighbors and they both were instrumental in putting Neuman’s Own oil and vinegar salad dressing on the market

Several years ago, while teaching at a High School in Louisville, KY, I met an older teacher who was of Hispanic decent, who used to travel to Buenos Aires for a Latin dance festival. He told me that Hemingway once owned a bar there so he could drink for free.

This teacher told me that, when the bar closed up for the night, they sometimes had to take Hemingway home in a wheelbarrow.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Just don't get so obsessed with him that you decide to exit the world in the same manner he did

I took a class on Hemingway in college, he led a lively and fascinating life. Today he would be called an adrenaline junkie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're interested in Hemingway try to get down to his house in Key West. If you are not interested in him, but are a cat lover go anyway. The six toed cats that live there are supposed to be direct descendents of his pets.
I've never been to Keys but it is on the family shortlist. My wife has agreed to a trip to Hemingway's house in exchange for a vacation for us. Seems fair to me. Probably next summer if I am lucky.

My dream hunt is ducks in Venice, Italy. I cannot recommend Across the River and Through the Trees, it is a painful read, but Hemingway does describe duck hunts in Italy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts