Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my bench I have a jar I dump mixed shot and powder into from my bench and floor when I clean up or bad reload. I’m looking for an easy way to recover the shot and not so much the powder. Does anyone have an easy solution? Ok let’s see how bad this goes.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
On my bench I have a jar I dump mixed shot and powder into from my bench and floor when I clean up or bad reload. I’m looking for an easy way to recover the shot and not so much the powder. Does anyone have an easy solution? Ok let’s see how bad this goes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great Idea did not think of that one...ever so often I forget the wad and slide the bar...get in a hurry....was using tweezers to separate. Going to look for one of the straines..be ready for next oops...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dollar store. Plastic lid looks like basket weave comes in tan black and dark brown. size is 10 1/4 x 6 3/8. I don't know how to post a picture (s). I also purchased a plastic pan to go under the basket weave lid. Dumped shot/powder on lid slight side to side, powder falls through rectangular slots, shot stays on top. 9 shot will not go through. If you can't find one let me know I'll send you one. Postage should be minimal. If you can explain how to add pictures to this post i'll try to send to you.

·
Premium Member
5,631 Posts
Dollar store. Plastic lid looks like basket weave comes in tan black and dark brown. size is 10 1/4 x 6 3/8. I don't know how to post a picture (s). I also purchased a plastic pan to go under the basket weave lid. Dumped shot/powder on lid slight side to side, powder falls through rectangular slots, shot stays on top. 9 shot will not go through. If you can't find one let me know I'll send you one. Postage should be minimal. If you can explain how to add pictures to this post i'll try to send to you.
Use the "upload a file" button in the lower right hand corner of the "reply" field.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Take it outside, put it on something with an edge (lid of a paint can for example). Blow the powder off using a fan. Another way is once outside toss a match on it. The powder will burn leaving the shot. It will not explode, it will just burn quickly.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The kitchen strainer is far and away the most practical solution...just strain the powder into a plastic 1 qt deli container.

My loading bench cleanup tool is a 1-gallon Shop Vac® that I modified by installing a ±.085" mesh screen in the bottom of the hopper about 1/2" above the bottom. I can suck up shot/powder spills and the screen lets the powder fall through to the bottom of the collector while the shot stays on top of the screen.

Reactions: mgclark7

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Another trick to pick up the stuff is to use a shop vac and a ladies hosiery. Makes getting the shot and powder out of crevices easier. Just hold the end of the hose over a bucket before turning it off or you'll get to vacuum again.

Maybe true or maybe not, but powder in the vacuum cannister may ignite from static discharge.

K

·
Registered
75 Posts
hope this worked. This system works awesome
I looked at the strainers at the dollar store and the holes in the screen were not large enough. This plastic lid works awesome. Haven't found a powder that won't go through the slots while the shot stays on top. Dump shot in a separate pan, jar.etc. powder in bottom of pan below lid.

·
Registered
31,161 Posts
Posted here before is a sink strainer that fits in the drain of a kitchen sink. It is available at WalMart and will separate many large flake powders and shot. It pays to have several strainers and sometimes start large and work your way down small. As a final method that works for me, I take a clean (new) cylindrical container like a 5 gallon bucket dump the remaining shot and powder after straining. Hold the container parallel to the ground, twist or roll it back and forth and the shot will roll out, leaving the powder in the bottom of the bucket.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine is simple - when (occasionally) I pour shot into the powder on a 600jr (bottles reversed from other MEC loaders). I have a large plastic dust pan. Pour the shot/powder mix on to one side. Slowly vibrate the pan and turn it and the powder will stay and the shot rolls to the other side. Pour the shot out and recover the powder. Usually have to run it thru a couple of times, but that's the price I pay for not paying attention.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use a piece of 1/8" hard board [6x12"] and two 1/4 round strips attached in a V shape with a small outlet on the bottom. use the rough side of the hard board, Raise the end of the hard board and rest the other end on a catch container. Pour the mixture on the board and allow the shot to roll away. Used what I had on hand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the help. Picked up two strainers to clean up with and even cleaned out the shop vac with no explosions. Lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts