Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scoring at the club as a volunteer and this brand new shooter came over to me and said if I saw anything he might be doing wrong to let him know. He had just broken 2 at every station. So I told him to get his eyes on the target and move the gun to where he was looking. I demonstrated with his nose as the target and my hands holding a make believe gun. He asked about 1 eye or 2 and said he was trying both. I told him he should pick one and stick with it. Before the next round I told him again to get his eyes on the target and move the gun to where he was looking. He broke 5 and then 4 at his next two stations. Then he went back to 2 per station. Afterwards he said he was trying to review in his head what I had told him. So I had him repeat it to me out loud and he was able to say it. Then I told him to practice...he was quite happy with the change and I noticed him shooting a couple more rounds at other houses. Later he said he was thrilled with what had happened and would be back. He was having trouble with straight always so I told him those were harder because you have less movement to help you gauge when to fire, but that it's the same solution. He understood completely.

It was fun to help a guy out.

Joe

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Said he had just had his prescription checked, so he was good there. His mount was pretty good so I let that go. He was maybe a little low in the shoulder.

Another guy later in the day was breaking about two per station but he was moving before he saw the bird. I know this because a target failed to launch and he was moving with nothing to see. We discussed and I noted that when you do that you end up with jerky s-curve type movements to the target. He acknowledged he was doing that. We'll see how he does next time.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Nice Going Joe!!! It gives me a nice warm feeling inside when I help a newbie as well. Let us know when he comes back OK break em all Jeff

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
We help the newbee`s quite often at our local club too. Hell all to often they end up outshooting us. Good job Joe

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Starting out, if they shoot one eye they can see what they are doing wrong and what they are doing right. They will shoot better sooner and have more fun because they will be breaking targets. They can then switch to two eyes when they are ready.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It always made me feel good to help a new shooter get into our sports. I enjoyed it so much I figured it would help to know what I'm doing,and since I was shooting a lot of Sporting Clays at the time, I took the NSCA Level I Instructors class. I worked for a time at our local range teaching an Introduction to Shotgun shooting class. Real basics in the classroom, then started them out on low house 7 for 10 shots, then had them move to the trap field for 3 shots per station. I loved it when I would see a student come out later and shoot........grow the sport!!!.

Later, when I got involved in Boy Scouts, I took the NRA Shotgun and Rifle Instructors Class, so I could be a Merit Badge Councilor. Love teaching the boys and see them keep an interest. Especially the looks on some of the parents faces when I was teaching the class and they looked at the lineup of rifles (you need to demonstrate each of the action types) and asked "is that your arsenal?" My wife lost it when I answered "Not all of it, that's actually only part of them, I didn't get into the shotgun or pistol parts of the safe." :032:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
If you want to see the flip side of Joe's adventure, go over to "The Dark Site", and click on "New Member". A classic.:rolleyes:

Bob Falfa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts