Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have just started reloading and was looking for some help. I am looking to load some practice loads 7/8 of an ounce. I was wondering how many grains of herco I should use to achieve around 1145 fps. I am Using Remington Sts Hulls, Cheddite 209 primer, Claybuster AA12L wad. I have MEC 20,22,24,30, and 32 bushings. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
I think it would be tough to use Herco in such a light load. It is a very slow burning powder and is recommended for use in heavy field loads in 12 ga. You likely will need a much faster powder for 7/8 oz. loads. Have you looked at Alliant's online reloading guide?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be tough to use Herco in such a light load. It is a very slow burning powder and is recommended for use in heavy field loads in 12 ga. You likely will need a much faster powder for 7/8 oz. loads. Have you looked at Alliant's online reloading guide?
I have not seen the online reloading guide, also which powder do you recommend I have Green Dot and Promo. But will go out and buy something that will be a better suite

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Promo is your ticket. Perfect for your application. Use the online data. The Cheddite primer may be a bit hotter than the Rem primers you will see in the data but the pressure profile of the loads is so low it won't make any difference. I don't know whether any of your bushings will be good for the powder drops you will need.

And if no one has welcomed you to TS.com, let me be the first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find the online guide. Can you link it in a comment? If you can't find it how many grains would you estimate?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

It shows using Remington primers but your Cheddites would prolly be fine.

For my 7/8 oz loads I use Red Dot. It burns very clean and is a comfortable round to shoot. I can shoot it all day and never have a sore shoulder after.

I'll recommend that you test whichever powder you decide to use with a good scale. Going by bushing charts alone isn't good enough. Powder can vary in densite from lot to lot even. A good scale is your number one reloading buddy.

Alex

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Red Dot and Promo, both made by Alliant, have the same burn rate and generally use the same data (but not the same bushings). Promo is less expensive. Agree on the scale; absolutely essential for verifying your powder drops. Do not rely on the bushing charts to give you an accurate picture of what a particular bushing will drop. The chart will get in the ballpark but y0u need the scale to get into the infield. Plus or minus a few tenths of a grain is normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts