Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. No doubt some of you are going to think this is a dumb A$$ question... But I can't figure it out...

On the 800+ How do i measure a powder drop without wasting a hull and primer?

Thanks for your patience.....

KT...

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
LOL there is a box of shells inserts that you can purchase that makes it easy. 12, 20, and 410. comes with a little funnel also. That's what I did.

Brady

·
Registered
41 Posts
Call P/W and ask if they still sell a measuring kit that you put a small plastic cup into the 12ga shell.It's easy to use.I hope that help.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,510 Posts
Buy the Measuring Kit from P/W. Put the plastic thimble in a empty hull and set them both on your digital scale (the hull just holds the thimble upright). Push the tare button to zero the scale. Put the thimble on the powder drop tube and cycle the loader. Remove the thimble and set it in the empty hull and set both on the scale. Read the powder weight. Use the small funnel in the measuring kit to pour the powder back into the shell on the loader.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I carry the 12 gauge shot and powder measure kits here at the shop.

However, you can simply remove the die with either the shop or powder in it, dump it into your scale, weigh it and then put back into the shell, reinsert the die with that shell, and die pin and continue reloading.

Whew... long sentence, sorry.

Whiz

·
Registered
599 Posts
No need for the measure kits, they are a waste unless you have the older PW pressed without the removable dies (the 800+ has removable dies).

Just do as whiz suggested...after powder is dropped, pull the pin, remove die with primed hull in it, weigh your charge, replace die with primed hull and pin.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ktappy; Cut a 20 guage hull off a little and maybe grind the bottem off to fit inside the the shell to catch the powder and weigh it dump it back in the shell and go

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
contact gary Bulley ( the UNLOADER ) on here, he makes a slip in plastic deal that works well if you have a loader without removable dies

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
My method is to cut a junk hull to about 1 3/4 inches long. Run it through the cycle along with the regular run (skip putting in a wad) and catch it before it drops out and pour the powder on the pan in the scale.

Werks fer me!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Just like AHAB stated sep turn off shot dropper. You can punch out the primers when your done and reuse them. Cycle about 6 hulls thru it so you can average the drops
PJ

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pull the handle about half way until you have about a 1/2" between top of shell die and tip of powder drop hold with elbow put powder tin from scale under powder drop tube and pull the slide with finger for powder and shot bushings towards yourself until powder drops.

Do this before you put any hulls in press you can also check the shot drop this way also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 800C. I turn off the shot, and empty the press. I insert a 20 Ga hull
and drop the powder into that. I do it 5 times, and weight all 5 loads and take the average. The 20 GA hull slips in and out of the bushungs easily and it takes only a little care to align the hull with the powder tube on the way down.
Unconventional, but it works.

RJ

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Many good ideas here and I am reminded about powder drop consistency.

One nice thing about using the Electric-Drive or the hydraulic is consistency of operating. My hydro operated the same way every single time, or until I screw up something, but 2.5-3 seconds to cycle is always 2.5-3 seconds. This means complete consistency is dropping shot and powder.

I have seen operators jerking their operating handles and I tell them "Don't do that!" I have folks who, when a malfunction occurs, and instead of stopping to check what went wrong, will then use BOTH hands to move the operating handle.

Consistency of motion is the key to consistent drops.

Whi

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Bushing don't vary and I rarely change the bushing. I check the powder drop when I open a new jug. I never stop while I am loading to check powder weight. That is just an invitation for a mistake and unnecessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts