Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest daughter wants to shoot Trap but has two problems. She cannot shoot with both eyes open(when checking where she is eye dominate it ends up in the middle of her nose every time), and she physicaly cannot close her left eye. The only way I can get her to point at something and be right on is to put her hand over her left eye. Any ideas???

Thanks

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I believe you are not doing it correctly. If necessary, consult an optician.

Or fly her to Michigan and I'll check it for you.

Unless her eyeball is above her nose..

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had a similar problem when I decided to shoot with both eyes open. It took a fitted stock to get my pupil near the center of my eye socket.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
There is no reason at all to cover the whole eye or lens. Just add enough tape to prevent her offending eye from seeing the front sight. She will need your assistance to achieve this.

1)Have her shoulder the gun just as if she was getting ready to shoot. <br>
2) Have her close her RIGHT eye while continuing to sight down the gun.<br>
3)You hover a nickel sized piece of tape over the LEFT lens until she tells you it blocked her from seeing the front sight with her LEFT eye. Remember she has to keep her right eye closed during this procedure. When she tells you the tape is blocking her from seeing the front sight with her left eye, place the tape on her lens in that spot.<br>
4)Have her swing the gun through the full range while continuing to shoulder the gun with her right eye closed. This is to make sure that at no point during her swing to the bird does her left eye become capable of seeing the front sight.<br>
5)Open both eyes and shoot a round of trap. Some minor adjustments may need to be made.<br>

Note: The tape or dot need only be big enough to prevent the offending eye from seeing the sight. In my opinion the smaller the block the better. This way you retain most of your peripheral vision.

Scotch tape will work however, I prefer these Avery round labels from the Office Supply store. They allow light to pass through but you cannot see through the dot. For about $7 you get a lifetime supply and various colors to match the different lens shades. I usually stack several on top of one another to prevent any chance of me being able to see the front sight through the dot.

The Avery labels:

Should look something like this:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mah66, the target is in line with the sighting eye since the patched eye cannot see it with the dot placed as shown by grntitan. As he pointed out, the patched or dotted eye can still help to pick up the target early as it leaves the trap, in conjunction with the sighting eye, also adding to depth perception because it is seeing below the dot. The patched or dotted eye helps follow the target to near the point of firing but is occluded from cross sighting as it approaches closer to the target by the proper position of the dot as shown. You do not want to block the whole sight of the off-eye, only the last portion as the target is reached. This leaves ONLY the right eye which is aligned with the barrel and target as the shot is fired......BUD

·
Vendor
1,667 Posts
GRNTITAN

Sorry but I have to disagree with you one dot will work less often than it will not work.

It is NOT whether the off eye can see the bead it is whether or not it can see he BIRD. MOST of the time, with the ladies that need tape, it will take at least 3 dots side by side MINIMUM and probably the entire top of the lens from left to right.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Type in www.shotspot.co.uk. They sell optical foil and show you the correct placement of the material and what you want it to occlude with it. Optical foil can be purchased also from a company called Western Opthalmics. I have purchased the 0.1 and 0.2 from them for $5-6 for a 2" square, look under supplies. Really reasonable compared to shotspot. You could use this to cover any amount of the lens you choose. Hope this helps, Joe

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not going to get in a silly argument over dots etc. Instead I will tell you my story. At a very young Age I started shooting guns my father would always get aggravated over how I would hold the gun to my head saying I was trying to put my head on top. I would always tell him it didn't look right putting my head the way he wanted. I also cannot close my left eye And I stunk at shooting. As I aged and was allowed to hunt and shoot on my own I started shooting left hand with both eyes open. I quickly became very proficient. My favorite shot was rabbit hunting with a 22 on the run. Something I could not even do with a shotgun more than half the time shooting right handed. Both my boys are like me they shoot left handed this is the only thing we do left handed. My point to this is let her try left hand don't fight it if she's left eye dominant which it sounds like she is. It will take a little time if she's right handed for it to become natural but it will and she will be able to shoot with both eyes fully open. If she doesn't like it well then give the tape,dots squinting at last second and all the other tricks a try My 2cents as someone that's been there.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Phil,

I'm ok with being overridden by somebody with your proven track record. You certainly have dealt with shooters for long enough to see all sides multiple times. That said, I do have a couple questions. Why is it that the ladies seem to have this issue needing multiple dots more often than men? I'm not arguing the fact, just simply curious. Also, how important do you think it is for a one eyed shooter using tape or dots to retain some of their peripheral vision?

Matt

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not buying it. I get the "she can't shoot with both eyes open, she's left-eye dominant" bs all the time. I teach them to shoot with both eyes open just like everyone else, and they get as good as anyone else.

The only people it does not work on are the ones who, no matter what you say or do, just can't stop trying to see the barrel to the target ("measuring"). I see that only in adults, usually men who have been shooting that way for years.

When you focus hard enough on the target with both eyes you make eye dominance irrelevant. Gill Ash has taught more people to shoot a shotgun well than any other 10 people on the planet, and he says the same thing.

·
Banned
958 Posts
A real story:

" I missed my 4H Team practice. My new shooter who had bought and installed an XD, and who was crushing targets with did not have on his gun yesterday. He shot like crap too, 12/25. When I asked him why he took it off, he said Mr. Woody (one of the other coaches) told him too....said he did not need "that crap" on his gun.

I put it back on. He shot 23/25. We went over to talk to Mr. Woody, who said he just could not see the hard left trap targets and he only shot 9/25 in trap. Short story...that was the first round of trap he EVER SHOT....and he shot it with a squad of our 4-5 year experienced shooters and NO COACHING. So, we shot a round of trap and did some coaching...he shot 17/25. Second round, after he figured out the barrel is never very far away from a trap target, he shot 21/25. We all agree the XD stays on the gun from now on....skeet, trap, sporting clays, or 5 stand!"

Mike

Anyone saying that eye dominance is irrelevant is full of BS!

Why we mount the gun if we just need to look at the target?

Even shooting from the hip the eye dominance has a big role!

Punching targets relaying on our reflex is nothing but gambling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts