Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to reloading , just made a batch of shells with federal hulls , CCI primers , 7/8 oz clay busters wad #8 lead shot and 31 grains of Longshot . Can anyone give me a rough est of what the FPS would be for this load
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
So how did you come up for data with that load? usually the FPS is included in the loading data..... if you are just willy nilly making a load.... give me warning before you fire it because i want to stand a good distance from you................... I am not trying to be ugly to you.... but where did you come up with the amounts and the components for that load???????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how did you come up for data with that load? usually the FPS is included in the loading data..... if you are just willy nilly making a load.... give me warning before you fire it because i want to stand a good distance from you................... I am not trying to be ugly to you.... but where did you come up with the amounts and the components for that load???????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I guess that was a mistake. That's why I was trying to get some info. Any idea on how much Longshot would need to be used for a decent trap load. Sounds like I need to dump the first twenty five rounds I reloaded and recalculate the powder

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
what loading manual are you using or are you using one at all?? Sir....... you are setting yourself up for a catastrophic accident ... and severe personal injury or even DEATH could be the result.....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
1 1/8 ounce loads is the lightest load in the data... evidently it is for heavy pay loads.... not light ones

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
You might want to pick up a Lyman's Shotshell Reloading manual, current edition is number 5.

While Hodgdon, Alliant and other powder manuals have the best recipes for their powders, the Lyman's manual will provide you with a whole lot of information about reloading shot shells, do's and don'ts, differences in shells, wads, primers, powders, etc., it is the reloader's Bible. As a newbie to reloading, it would be the best investment you can make for education on this subject matter. You can find it in large book stores like Barne's and Noble or Amazon which would also have used issues.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Montedogk9, A word to the wise. Sounds like your real New to reloading. Reloading first without a tested set of load data is just not a way to start. Like Rick said, invest in the Reloaders Bible. Then do some reading before you start loading. You can also obtain free of charge from the powder manufactures their current load data. Do your research and study the reloaders bible. Be SAFE, and Enjoy the feeling of Reloading SAFE and RELIABLE RELOADS. It may just save You and those around You some unenjoyable moment.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Your 31 gr of longshot in a 1 1/8 oz load with proper components will travel at 1425+ FPS and Longshot is not recommended for any load less than 1 1/8 oz as already mentioned above, I don't think I would want to shoot 100 of them. Bob K has given you excellent links for your reloading questions, just follow the prompts. Get a shell cutter and cut those first 25 apart.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
No need to cut them apart. Just drive a screw into the middle of the crimp and pull the crimp open with a pair of pliers. Dump the shot back into the hopper and use a pair of needle nose pliers to extract the wad and then dump the powder. But as the others said, get the Lyman's manual and order paper copies of the Hodgdon and Alliant reloading data manuals. Alliant has an online order form and Hodgdon will send you one with a phone call. You were smart to come here and ask the question and get on the straight and narrow before you used those loads.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
just Google Hodgdon.com or Alliantpowder.com Always use a published load from the powder company who's powder you are loading with. Never listen to some guy at your local club who says he loads bla-bla-bla and it works great for him!!! Look up all data for every different load you use, yourself!!! Buy a good scale so that you can weight your powder drops to make sure. You will also want to check your shot drops as well. Some loaders will slowly grind open the shot hole on Mec reloaders to get the loader to drop the proper amount. But don't grind the powder bushings to get them to drop a bit more powder. Its better to buy the more open bushing and then use your wife's finger nail polish and paint the inside of the bushing to make it smaller. One or two light coats will do wonders and will never wear off. But You can Always Remove The Polish, With Polish Remover when you change powders whenever you want to. Just a couple of quick tips for ya. Good Luck and Welcome to TS.com break em all. Jeff

1 - 20 of 32 Posts