Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Remington 870 fixed choke barrels. They are 28" full(.695), 28" modified(.710) and 26" skeet(.730). These barrels are actually gas ported for use on my sportsman 58 TB. I measured these at the end of the barrels and as I understand it this makes the chokes full(40), modified(25) and skeet(5) assumming the skeet really has 5 thousands over cylinder. I would like to verify that I have the correct understanding because I am looking for help in finding someone who can work on my full and skeet barrels.

My goal is to open the full up a little and to convert the skeet to screw in chokes for use on 5 stand events at my club.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have three Remington 870 fixed choke barrels. They are 28" full(.695), 28" modified(.710) and 26" skeet(.730). These barrels are actually gas ported for use on my sportsman 58 TB. I measured these at the end of the barrels and as I understand it this makes the chokes full(40), modified(25) and skeet(5) assumming the skeet really has 5 thousands over cylinder. I would like to verify that I have the correct understanding because I am looking for help in finding someone who can work on my full and skeet barrels.

My goal is to open the full up a little and to convert the skeet to screw in chokes for use on 5 stand events at my club.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The choke is actually the constriction from the bore to the end of the bbl. So assuming yours is .735 Id say you have the correct understanding.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The choke is actually the constriction from the bore to the end of the bbl. So assuming yours is .735 Id say you have the correct understanding.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
You won't know what the choke is until you measure the diameter of the barrel and subtract the diameter of the choke from it. HMB

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
You won't know what the choke is until you measure the diameter of the barrel and subtract the diameter of the choke from it. HMB

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Old rem factory barrels do have a fair amount of variation in what the bores measure. I like the old fixed choke barrels a lot and have a handful of them and I also have a bore micrometer.

I have measured the fixed choke barrels and have found bores anywhere from 0.720 up to 0.740 on just standard vent rib barrels, so until you measure the bore and the choke constriction you don't really know what you have,

to further add problems to the mix it is not uncommon that some one may have had those barrels opened up....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.