Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entered my first trap league. Shot a 50/50 week prior to league, then shot 48/50 first week (very windy but I didn't mind), shot 46/50 (calm) second week and noticed 5 out of six ones I missed were straight away from station 3.

First two weeks I had 2nd highest score but I'm heading in the wrong direction.

I never had trouble before and always thought those were the easy ones.. now today, it was crazy windy again, no trouble with any hard lefts, or hard rights from any station. The only misses were straights when at 3 and one at 2 & 4. Shot terrible with a 43 and I'm not happy with myself.

Shooting a Browning Superposed, 12ga. 1 1/8 target loads at 1200. Shot mod. mostly and tried it with the full, everything fine unless it's a straight on 3.. dropped 2 or 3 from there each round today. P.O.I. is about a 75/25 when I tried it on pattern board from 35 yards.

Normally I have the bird just above the front bead and all is fine but I'm either above it or below it and I can't really tell. Maybe I can ask someone to stand behind me and see, I don't know. I feel I'm letting my teammates down.

I'm doing something wrong and hopefully I can get some ideas here to help me get back on track. Today was a really bad day before I got to shoot but I can't blame it on that when I'm missing the same shot over and again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For me, I tend to shoot a straight away quicker than most other targets due to it requiring less gun movement. Thus I do not float it as much as I would a target that takes me longer to get my gun to it. I actually hold on the target for a straight away.
Davin

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Straight away targets are one of the most missed targets...they look easy and people either shoot them too fast and poke at them while stopping the gun or raise their head to watch it break....hold just to the right of the center of the traphouse and take just a little longer to break it.Don't poke at it;keep the gun moving and keep your head down.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^I was thinking I may of shot over it, but after thinking about it I believe I have been under it, not taking enough time and probably could of focused on them a bit more. I thought I took my time on the last one today but lost it and very disappointed in myself. Next week I'm going to stand on 3 and see what's going on. Never had trouble before but I always had started on 4 and ended on 3. Now I'm starting on 1 with league and starting to develop a bad habit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
^I was thinking I may of shot over it, but after thinking about it I believe I have been under it, not taking enough time and probably could of focused on them a bit more. I thought I took my time on the last one today but lost it and very disappointed in myself. Next week I'm going to stand on 3 and see what's going on. Never had trouble before but I always had started on 4 and ended on 3. Now I'm starting on 1 with league and starting to develop a bad habit.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
My mentor and the guy who introduced me to trap shooting always said it's not really a straightaway....the way the target comes off the arm is just a wee bit off being a perfect straightaway.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
You are rolling your head back because the straights encourage this. You then lift the gun with your forehand trying to catch up which breaks down your mount. This miss-aligns your eye and and the rib and you shoot under the target.

The solution is simple. Really lock in your cheek on the stock and and make sure you raise the gun with your back muscles rotating up at the waist.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Is the Superposed a true trap gun or a field model? Does it have an adjustable comb? What is the POI? From what you've described it sounds like it's 60/40 ish. Have you done any work on a pattering board to determine where it's actually shooting? You stated that "normally you have the bird just above the bead." Sounds like you might be "bead checking" on the ones you miss. Having someone spot you while shooting straightaways may help.

When I am consistently missing the same target, I'll go out, set the machine to throw the same presentation and shoot that target until I can run that post.
Hope any of this helps.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ I don't think I'm lifting off, but I could be wrong.. I'm going to make sure I'm welded to the comb (maybe my fat face is giggling a bit too much on the straights?). I really think the advice of straights being not true straights is going to help, I'm going to try holding a bit to the right of traphouse when at 3 and move into the so called straights. I just wish I knew what I was doing before and go back to that!

Also, back to the pattering board to see what is what. I spent a few hours there prior to league as I had action rebuilt and everything was out when shipped back to me. Maybe something has changed or I'm holding differently.

Really am pissed as it was going so well. Got into the groove 1st week and was not even thinking about anything...just focusing on the target and targets were really centered.. Had my best run to date just as league started with 74/75, too bad I didn't get the 1st 50 as shoot-aheads. I felt I finally "got" what everyone has helped in the past of "focus on the bird" and just shoot.

My friends all laughing at me because all I used to want to do is hunt some quail and I went out to trap range just to improve my hunting...now I'm spending more time at trap than hunting. Thanks all

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the addiction called trap. It was easier to stop smoking than to stop shooting trap. Smoking went away 12 years ago.....trap just keeps on going.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I tend to shoot straight away's to fast, lift my head and shoot under them or if they come out low, shoot right over them. I have to tell myself at station three to slow down. I also hold to the right of the center of the trap house to make the straight away shot a little more of an angle. This shot is my most commonly missed shot because I take it for granted.....SLOW DOWN!

·
Registered
531 Posts
You are rolling your head back because the straights encourage this. You then lift the gun with your forehand trying to catch up which breaks down your mount. This miss-aligns your eye and and the rib and you shoot under the target.

The solution is simple. Really lock in your cheek on the stock and and make sure you raise the gun with your back muscles rotating up at the waist.

I just finished a shooting clinic with Nora Ross and this was my problem as well!! What used to be easy straight aways suddenly became the 1 miss in a perfect 25 and end with 24. I did not know what was wrong until I saw that shot taken from the video she was taking and she pointed it out really fast. LIFTING OF THE HEAD SLIGHTLY AND PUSHING WITH THE FOREARM

Once I knew that I kept my face planted to the gun and never miss another one the rest of the weekend. Her instruction was priceless!

Reap

·
Registered
152 Posts
Keep the gun moving after the shot, just like a left or right angle. If you stop the gun on a straight away just after the shot you forgot to follow through. No follow through, no broken target.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
ShotStop nailed it. The Trapereaper now has it on tape to watch. What other proof do you need??? The body will get fatigued and try to use other muscles in the body to move the gun. Raising the gun with your arm is much easier than using your back to raise the gun. But it must be done this way. You are developing a very bad habit. You simply can't use any muscles above your belly button to move the shotgun to a target!!!!-- or you will move your eye. Your eye is your rear sight and can not be moved during the swing or you will miss the target and become inconsistent. Turn left and right with your waist and up with your back. Practice mounting and swing the gun in your home several times a week using proper form. Practice moving the gun until you can do it in your sleep. Then you will move the gun properly when the time comes and develop your muscles at the same time, so your body does not need to find a short-cut after the proper muscles fatigue.

When first starting out you will develop problems with the strait away targets first. Then fix it. Then 6 months later have problems with hard angles, then fix it. Then you will go back to strait away problems to a lesser degree. All part of the first year or two of shooting trap. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
^ I don't think I'm lifting off, but I could be wrong.. I'm going to make sure I'm welded to the comb (maybe my fat face is giggling a bit too much on the straights?). I really think the advice of straights being not true straights is going to help, I'm going to try holding a bit to the right of traphouse when at 3 and move into the so called straights. I just wish I knew what I was doing before and go back to that!

Also, back to the pattering board to see what is what. I spent a few hours there prior to league as I had action rebuilt and everything was out when shipped back to me. Maybe something has changed or I'm holding differently.

Really am pissed as it was going so well. Got into the groove 1st week and was not even thinking about anything...just focusing on the target and targets were really centered.. Had my best run to date just as league started with 74/75, too bad I didn't get the 1st 50 as shoot-aheads. I felt I finally "got" what everyone has helped in the past of "focus on the bird" and just shoot.

My friends all laughing at me because all I used to want to do is hunt some quail and I went out to trap range just to improve my hunting...now I'm spending more time at trap than hunting. Thanks all
You answered your own question;"was not even thinking about anything..."Now you ARE; you're thinking about missing, you're thinking about gun hold,your thinking about keeping your head down and it goes on and on.....STOP THINKING... a VEGETABLE with eyes and good reflexes would be an unbeatable trapshooter

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If you watch some of the videos on youtube of the ISSF International trap competition you will see how the shooters lock the gun into their face and shoulders, and use their body to direct the gun to the target.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts