Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help reloading federal paper hulls. I am using a RCBS Grand, I cannot get them to crimp properly tried almost everything to get them to crimp properly. Can anybody on here help me out with getting them to crimp properly, any advice is appreciated. My load I am using is

Green dot 18.5 grains
Claybuster 12s3 wad
noble sport primers

Thanks

Zach

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no my crimp starter is a 6 point, the crimp starter works fine just the final crimp is not crimping properly.

Zach

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
If you could post picture of your finished shell that would help.Then we could see the finished product.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
A smooth cone IMO is the best crimp starter for Federal Papers.

When I did use the 6 point crimp starter on a MEC, I would put a single wrap of masking tape around the started and mark the high points of the 6 crimp starters. I would then align one of the visible ridges in a paper hull with one of the high points. The result was a good to near perfect crimp,

Ed Ward

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what my crimp looks like. It sounds like some of you use a single stage just for papers? I have a single stage but want to avoid using it if I can.

Thanks for the responses

Zach

zstaylor2_2010_1906.jpg

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Zach, those crimps look good enough, though I have a MEC 9000 with the 8 point crimp starter and mine look a little more uniform than these. YMMV Scott

·
Registered
218 Posts
Get a smooth crimp starter and your problem will go away. I loaded thousands of Federal papers on a Grand and they looked like new ammo.

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I also load mine on the RCBS Grand but switched to a smooth cone starter from MEC. It will thread right on to the stem and makes those paper hulls come out looking like new. My shells looked just like yours, which to me look terrible, until I switched the starter. I also back the crimping die up a good ways to keep from buckling the hull.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Did you buy your Grand new in the box?? They come with a smooth crimp starter. If you did not get one, call RCBS and they will send you one. In the mean time, do as jdsfarms Jerry above suggested. Take the crimp starter off and give it a try. Lots of people who load on PW remove them for papers. I have loaded thousands of papers on my Grand with excellent results. You have to know that the parent company owns Federal and RCBS and will be sure that the Grand will do the job. At the Grand American this year, the RCBS / Federal shop was demonstrating the Grand with Papers. It will take a little adjustment to get good looking loads but no big deal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whatever you use for a crimp starter, try adjusting it up so it doesn't close the shell so much. On my loader I have to raise the crimp starter so it just makes contact with the shell to get good crimps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys I will call RCBS and maybe see about ordering a MEC smooth starter, will let you guys know how my shells come out.

Thanks

Zach

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
brady509_2012_20033.jpg

One fired papers reloaded with No crimp starter on a mec don't know if your loader is set up different.

I have used the smooth starter also in the past with no difference.

brady gies

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
ZStaylor2

Two things ....
1. I have a MEC 650 with thousands and thousands of Federal Papers through it with the smooth crimper ... never an issue ... great crimps since 1968.

and

2. I had an issue with an RCBS centerfire primer tool. Was missing the large rifle primer adapter. Got to RCBS via email. Immediate response ... I have the parts in stock ... will shop today ... no charge. By the way when the replacement parts arrived, they were invoiced from Federal Cartridge Corporation (must have purchased RCBS)!!! Small world indeed.

Good shooting,

Dusty

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brady509 those look great for not using a crimp starter, I think I will try loading some without the crimp starter first and see how they come out

Zach

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is what my crimp looks like after taking the crimp starter off, seemed like it worked a little better but I think I will go wight the smooth crimp starter.

Thanks
Zach

zstaylor2_2010_190615.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don I tried setting to to were it just begins to fold and that didn't work, so look like I'm going to have to get a smooth starter, sounds like that will fix my problem.

Thanks for the help

Zach

1 - 20 of 31 Posts