Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been years since I shot my old Beretta 303, but I picked up a new to me and very clean 390 auto..But...the gas piston etc. is very dirty. How does one clean carbon? Can Easy Off be used (parts of gun, of course) or??? I do remember Shooters' Choice worked...smelt like ammonia; not to be used for any length of time in a rifle barrel..nasty stuff.

Anything better or the market since about '94???

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've been using Hoppes Elite cleaner for a while and it cleans my SuperX2 pistons very well with just a light brushing. No ammonia, it's biodegradable, and nearly odorless. $27.99 a quart from Grafs.

AndyH

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I shoot a 303. I use slick2000. just soak the piston for an hour or so and put a little steel wool on a bore brush and a drill and its done

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all who helped. I went to the garage and figured out something a bit different; let the piston soak in hot water and some Tide; used a small cup. After sitting for about ten minutes, I took out the piston and scrubbed the inside with a paper towel and a paste of Bon-Ami. Remember that product? A bit hard to find today, but it's out there. Worked fine...all shiny inside the piston now!

·
Banned
409 Posts
What I use on this stainless steel gas piston is brake clean (non-residue). Just use a tooth brush with the brake clean , but keep it from all wood !!

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
As long as the piston moves freely in the barrel collar and on the Mag ext shaft, it is clean enough. Don't damage the piston trying to get it spotless.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shooting coach makes a strong point. Stainless is kinda soft in many cases and tends to "smear" rather than chip or break...depending upon the alloy. Therefore, I felt it important not to gouge or rough up the gas piston...the goal was to get it very clean this first time and then to keep up cleanliness in the future by not letting it get super dirty again. The gun came to me used and never cleaned...although with low miles. Because i'm lazy, future cleanups will now be much quicker and easier if not put off after lots of shooting...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.