Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg
image.jpg
So I was shooting My MX3 and midway thru a round, My lever would not stay to the right when I opened the gun. I pushed it over but it wouldn't catch; the plunger on the breechface had recessed into the frame.
When I pulled the trigger out, a plunger on a spring (not one in the breechface) and a triangular shaped lever fell out.
Can anyone tell me what happened and what the fox is?

I know I can send it to one of many gunsmiths, but I'm fairly mechanically inclined and if I can do this quickly and relatively cheaply, I'd rather do it myself.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
That is the top lever stop plate.

Remove the buttstock and look at the RH side of the receiver near the firing pins. The pin that holds the firing pins in place is also the same pin that the plate rotates on. There are four pieces to this assembly...lock plate, spring, plunger and the top lever stop plate release pin.

Orientated just as the picture above shows is how it should sit in the receiver. The spring goes into the top hole in the receiver and the plunger pushed against the top triangle leg. The bottom leg slips behind the release pin (you will see a cut along one side of the pin.

While holding all of this in place, push the firing pin retaining pin back into place. I find it easier to remove the locking bolt first, it makes it easier to align the plate.

Now the big question...why did this pin drift to the left and free the plate? The pin should be trapped on both ends by the buttstock...preventing it from moving.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the top lever stop plate.

Remove the buttstock and look at the RH side of the receiver near the firing pins. The pin that holds the firing pins in place is also the same pin that the plate rotates on. There are four pieces to this assembly...lock plate, spring, plunger and the top lever stop plate release pin.

Orientated just as the picture above shows is how it should sit in the receiver. The spring goes into the top hole in the receiver and the plunger pushed against the top triangle leg. The bottom leg slips behind the release pin (you will see a cut along one side of the pin.

While holding all of this in place, push the firing pin retaining pin back into place. I find it easier to remove the locking bolt first, it makes it easier to align the plate.

Now the big question...why did this pin drift to the left and free the plate? The pin should be trapped on both ends by the buttstock...preventing it from moving.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I put on a PFS stock (I'm a lefty) since I could adjust it to fit me better. I'll check to see if the grip was relieved inside and if that's affecting things. The gun was worked on by a *very* reputable gunsmith not too long ago so I was hoping it was nothing too serious.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
PFS can have more space between it's grip and the receiver.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GunDr, thanks for the great explanation! Steve W, thanks for the great pic!
With your help, once I took the grip off, it took me about 30 seconds.

The PFS grip I have is relieved on both sides of where that pin is...looks like it came from the factory that way. I can't imagine why as it's the area above where the locking block slides, so there's no chance for interference. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the area the pin goes through is thicker in some of the newer MX series guns? Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Anyone have any ideas?
I'm tempted to fill the hollow on the inside of the grip with some epoxy to keep it from backing out again, but I might hold off if it means it won't fit other guns or if there's another reason not to.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I glue a piece of plastic inside the PFS grip against the plate/pin. Check your factory stock as ref.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I glue a piece of plastic inside the PFS grip against the plate/pin. Check your factory stock as ref.

Even better contact Whiz White or Marcello Giuliani. MG makes a modified 128 pin which will not drift. If you use a PFS you should install one . SteveB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts