Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. My Uncle, who is not a big gun guy, called me this morning and asked me to look for him a lever action, 22 magnum rifle in which a scope can be mounted. I am a super avid rifle nut, but my love is with the bolt gun. I am looking for some input/advise on what make/model you guys would suggest. Thank you.

Ty Daws

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Winchester, Henry and Marlin are all great. I personally like the Marlin levers, but don't know if there's one in .22 magnum. Wonder why he isn't satisfied with the Long Rifle ammo? Lots cheaper and more readily available.

cap

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I don't know that you'll have alot of choices in .22 mag. I can think of a few although a Google search may produce more.

Marlin .22 mag levermatic

Winchester 9422

Henry

·
Registered
434 Posts
a old man once told me about a 22 mag. too big for little, and too little, for big... a 22 hornet would be a good 100 to 125 yd. round, in a bolt rifle..

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've got lever, bolt, falling block, autos.

Levers are wicked fun to shoot! And my Marlin 39a is a real hoot...

cap

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Go with a Henry...they are reasonable priced...decent quality and shoot pretty good too....The Marlin 1894 22mag and Winchester 9422M are both long discontinued(unless Winchester snuck a new one out) and both, especially the Marlin are highly desireable collector guns now...and you'll pay from deep down in your penny jar to get one...not too wise an investment for just a casual plinker

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I wish Marlin would make a 39A in .22Mag. I love my Marlin and honestly shoot it almost daily. I would just like the Mag for something different. Here is my baby with Weaver scope.
grntitan_2009_2503214.jpg

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Rick--will those new Henry's chamber all three .22 size ammo? Short~Long~Long Rifle?? Just curious. Looking to get my 17 year old a Birthday present. Was thinking on a 39A like mine but would consider a Henry for sure if it would shoot my favorite CCI CB Longs.

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
Best ones I had over the years are the Browning BLR 22mag and the Ruger 10 22mag.

Ruger used to make a lever action 22 mag.

I've never seen a Marlin 39A in 22 mag.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Thats cause there isn't a Marlin 39A in .22MAG. I said "I Wish" they would make one because of how much i like my 39A .22LR. --Matt

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had a 94/22mag for years, with a scope. It is very accurate, but very finicky about ammo. Hands down it shoots the Winchester 34gr Supreme Hollowpoints best. It will shoot reliable groups from the bench at 100, which I consider to be the end of the rainbow for the mag. David

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Has your uncle tried a 17 HMR?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Have Winchester, Marlin, and Henry lever actions in 22 LR and 22 WMR (magnum rimfire) as well as a 22 LR in Browning's BL-22 lever action.

They are all a bunch of fun.

The 22 magnum rimfire is also available in some pump action rifles, which are fun too.

The 22 magnum rimfire is great for jack rabbits.

Not recommended for folks limited to factory ammunition due to ammo cost, but the Marlin lever action 1894CL was made in 218 Bee, 25-20, and 32-20, which are great for small game like jack rabbits.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey Matt,whats the model marlin makes in .22mag if its not a 39a,I have 2 friends that have marlin mags ??? Beni

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Marlin made a non-traditional-looking lever action in 22 magnum rimfire back in the 1960s.

Marlin made a version of their traditional-looking 1894 lever action, normally associated with pistol cartridges like the 357 and 44, in 22 magnum rimfire back in the 1980's.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Thanks Hammer. I just got a few minutes here this morning but yeah it wasn't a 39A. The Model 57 was odd looking and the 1894 in .22MAG is highly sought after by collectors as someone all ready pointed out.

Marlin Model 57M

grntitan_2009_25035.jpg

Marlin 1894M .22Mag

grntitan_2009_25036.jpg

Neither of these are mine.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Lots of coyotes fell to my old Marlin mod 57 .22 mag!! My brother had the mod. 56 in .22 long rifle at about the same time. Very accurate rifles!

Hap

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I have a 218Bee and the 32-20...both awesome...still may get a 1894 in 22mag if one comes by me reasonable price...the 38/357mag is by far the most useful of the smaller guns...a 38 130fmj is perfect for stuff as small as squirrels/bunnies with head shots and very quiet...the 357Mag load to +P with 158gr or 180gr hollow pts will lay a whitetail down hard ...and its still nearly as cheap as the 22mag.....and the most fun of all is rubber bullets in a 38 case with a magnum primer and the primer flash holes opened and 1gr of red dot...it kills birds squirrels and bunnys with pure blunt force trauma...fun as heck..let me tell ya!!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
One of the other benefits of the lever actions, be it 22lr or mag is that of tube feed. Sure is more fun shooting sage rats or whatever with a target rich environment. Both the 10/22 and the various bolt actions are a pain to load compared to the tube. I love my 9422.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.