Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice older smith & wesson k-22, 22 cal pistol. Serial number is 50026 under the cylinder on the frame and has the number k 55027 on the metal band on bottom side of the walnut grips. Guns is probably %85 with honest wear. Pretty clean gun overall. Not sure if its pre or post war and need an honest value. May sell if price is right.
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
You have a nice early gun with diamond grips; not collector value based on condition and unless you have the original box, paperwork, and tools. I was recently offered $400 for mine which is a newer updated model (17-3) in 98%+ condition in the original box with original paperwork and cleaning kit. This was a "lowball" offer from a dealer...I figure mine is worth at least $600. I would "guessimate" yours in the $500 vicinity...others will have their own opinions. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Nice looking post-war 5-screw. I've had a few of those in 6". There's an empty spot in the safe waiting for another.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screws are unbuggered. Looks like this gun is going for around the $550 to $650 on gunbroker. Mines in better shape then the pics. Needs a good cleanning. If someone is interested with a good offer id be tempted to sell it. Rather sell here then go to gunbroker.
Chris

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Chris, you might want to try posting it in the classifeds on the S&W Forum. I don't know if it would bring more there but you would be advertising to the right audience. They seem to place an added value on pre-model number revolvers.

Ed

·
Registered
854 Posts
You have a nice late mid- 50's K-22 target masterpiece (pre-model 17). 5 screw frame. These are loved by all us S&W fans.
Yours looks pretty good- The grips are probably numbered to the gun if you look.
I would put yours in the $500-550 range without the box etc.
If serious about selling let me know.

Terry Jones
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I love those old 5-screw K-22's. I have three of them, from 1947 to 1953. Great guns.

I will say this: What they ASK on Gunbroker isn't always what they SELL FOR on Gunbroker..... I believe what Sagamo and Mikey357 are telling you is about right.

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pete and I have been selling my Fathers Smith collection for a few months now. I have found that "what's it worth" depends on what someone will pay. There are lots of reference materials to get you started. I believe your gun is post war, 1948. That makes it's book value about half that of pre-war. Condition is the biggest variable. People SHOT .22's! Most value books don't even list prices for old K-22's graded above 80%, they let the market determine.
Here is a picture of our K-22. It was made in 1938. Pete graded it at 80-85. We have it listed for 700. We had a collector look at it the other day and said he would have paid double for mint, but didn't want to pay 700 for 85%.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It was made in 1947. 51XXX sits a foot away from where I peck this. The gun seems to have been carried more than shot. The blue loss on each side of the bbl is caused by holster wear. Jiggling around in a factory box a lot does this,too. Shooting a lot would be shown by blue loss on the ejector rod. Some also by a deepening cylinder line but really good timing prevents this to an extent. Interesting thing about the gun is the multi-line address on the right side forward part of the frame. A smaller,bit earlier group of K-22's had a single line address--"MADE IN U.S.A.". Mine does. Very desirable. You have to see if the grip #'s match the gun. Really helps a sale & add $25 up. Back out the grip screw but leave threaded. Gently tap to break grip away from frame. #'s should match gun #. Yours is worth about $550-575. Add above for matching grip #'s. Easist sale is S&W Forum(free)but you need very clear pics. PM me if you need any more info. Tom

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
They must have made a heck of a lot of K-frames in 1947. My K-22 is K 4XXX and it was shipped in late 1947. 47,000 numbers in between in one year! Wow.

Incidentally, mine has the one line address. Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
K Series K Frames (Adjustable Sight Models)

K101 – K614……………......1946
K615 – K18,731…………....1947
K18,732 – K73,121……..…1948

Mike, I believe the chart above shows your gun to be a 1947. His is 1948. Unless the chart I have is inaccurate. You are right about "what they list for" and "what they sell for". I see lots of pre k-22's like mine list for 900+. The listings never go away.
Chris, you don't have to tell, but I am curious on how much your offer was.
Scott Starks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.