Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My son and I are new to the sport of trap shooting. As a kid growing up, my dad would take us hunting for pheasant and to me, trap shooting was shooting clay targets off the side of the road out in the country (probably not the best spot). Fast forward and I have learned a little about this sport as my son has taken and interest in it, he currently is finishing up his first season with his middle school. He is left eye dominate and shoots left handed. We managed to pick him up a Remington 870 for a good price. I know this is a field gun and some have had great results shooting trap with it, but now I am on the path to an upgrade. Having recently turned 13, he is in the 95 percentile for height and 85 percentile for weight. That being said, it appears he really has been crowding his gun and one of the reasons we feel its time to upgrade (particularly something with adjustments). A lot of people highly recommend the Browning Bt99, which is what brought me to this forum. Someone at work recommended it for the classifieds in attempt to find a decent used one. The guy at work talks highly of the BT-99 plus AR, however those seem few and far in between. I stumbled upon a couple of older units here that might fit the bill, but first need to get to that 50 post rule. So i thought i would ask some questions. Since he is a left handed shooter, does the stock on these bt-99s matter or is just the barrel release (sorry if that is not the correct term)? I would hate to have to spend $1400 plus and have to have the stock replaced.

Thanks for you help

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
This is an honest and well written first post. Welcome to the forum. The BT-99 is a great trap gun, and can be shot from either side. The barrel release lever can be used by either side shooter, and is always moved right to open the gun. Fit is important, and it may or may not fit him. Based on his size it will probably be close. You may be able to both share it. The 870 can be made into a trap gun with some stock modifications or a different stock. Remingtons, like the 870, come with a short length of pull (14"), which most other guns are 14 1/2" or longer. If his thumb is close to his nose when he mounts the gun, try adding a slip-on recoil pad. Also try adding some mole skin on top of the comb, to move his sight picture (rear eye) up, which will move the pattern up, which is typically how a trap gun shoots. Use at least a modified or full choke, and his gun will work for him while you are shopping.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The BT99 is one the best traps guns ever built. I do not recommend it for youth shooting sports unless you are looking to buy two guns. I provide this suggestion to all the parents who allow us to coach the children.
Two barrels are better than one
Get a gun that has choke tubes
If possible get a gun with at least and adjustable comb.
Two Barrels: An O/U simplifies the game and makes it possible to shoot Double Trap, Skeet and Sporting. The other games can be done with an auto loader but having two barrels allows for two different choke tubes. Finding a shell catcher that works and having to deal with a shell catcher complicates things.
Choke tubes: As ability grows, you will want to shoot tighter chokes. Skeet should be played with Skeet chokes.
Adjustable comb: As you son grows, the adjustable comb will help keep the gun fitting better over the long haul.
Many new and used versions out there to chose from. Try to find someone that can help find a gun that fits. See other threads on gun fit.
Be prepared to spend up to 2K for new, 1k to 1.5 k for used a O/U. Automatics, specifically Remington 1100's can be found used for less than 1K.
Browning and Beretta make great starter O/U guns and can be found used. Beretta and Remington are also great choices for auto loaders.
Stay away from Benelli and Franchi guns. Great guns, but are generally too light for a long day shooting targets. They will kick and have more recoil than a heavier O/U or heavier auto loader. Weight is your friend when selecting a target gun. I personally have not seen the guns made in Turkey to hold up over the long haul. I can confidently say a B-Gun will last as long as your son is shooting in the youth shooting programs.
An O/U is a good choice for lefties. You will have to look harder to find a lefty auto loader but they are out there.
Lots of options, take your time. Try out as many as you can. Enjoy the process of finding a new gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I have looked into some stocks for the Remington. After thinking about, I would rather spend the money on a more appropriate gun and leave his Remington stock for his field days. I have no issue buying him a O/U, but would like to see where this takes him. Maybe by High School, we are ready for that upgrade. He currently does have mole skin on his stock now which does help a bit. he is shooting a modified choke. We did fit a an SKB Century while at State, but never got to shoot it as they closed the practice traps. The sales rep making the adjustments actually had the butt so far out, that he needed to add a 1/2" spacer. I don't know if this was right or not, but my son said it felt really comfortable. As for his thumb to his nose, if they are not touching, then they are close. I have attached a photo of where they are located. I am not trying to rush, but would like to have him in something this summer as he will be shooting other leagues and i would like everything corrected by this next school season.

Attachments

·
Vendor
19,218 Posts
Presuming you are in WI or IA, take a ride to Monsoors in LaCrosse WI. They will have excellent selection of BT99 that will help get him set up on the right foot.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Based on that photo, I would suggest some changes. Try adding a slip on pad to lengthen LOP. Also, he has a very closed stance, like a rifle shooter. Shoot more face on to the target, by moving your feet and core. This will also make the gun fit better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shoot more face on to the target, by moving your feet and core. This will also make the gun fit better.
Thanks, We will work on that over the summer. Good reason to go to the range and practice. Now that you mention it, I do believe one of the coaches mentioned something about this.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Look for a new or used O/U if you are look at MSRP of $1400 for the SKB. This is one of the turkish guns I was referring to. Some have had good luck, some have not. SKB will stand behind the product. It is more the time lost during the season. A new Browning CX is in the $1800 sale price range. Not sure on a Beretta but it will be a bit more. Both can be found used in the 1500 range. I will let others comment on current gun fit. I will say it could be better.
Where are you located?
Good Luck

·
Registered
955 Posts
Duder:

You have one of the premier Browning dealers in America right in Omaha. Guns Unlimited ... check them out!

upload_2019-5-8_11-42-8.jpeg

Guns Unlimited
Gun shop
Sports Plaza I
292.9 mi · Omaha, NE · (402) 339-0771
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duder:

You have one of the premier Browning dealers in America right in Omaha. Guns Unlimited ... check them out!

View attachment 1579189
Guns Unlimited
Gun shop
Sports Plaza I
292.9 mi · Omaha, NE · (402) 339-0771
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM
Yes, if i purchase new, it will be from them, that is where i purchase my ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Yes, if i purchase new, it will be from them, that is where i purchase my ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I second GU, just purchased a new 725 from them, Dick was awesome to deal with ... they have plenty of BT's... I think they have even more than me... :) I have a bunch... like the BT's so much having a hard time letting any of them go.. you won't regret a BT

·
Registered
315 Posts
We did fit a an SKB Century while at State, but never got to shoot it as they closed the practice traps. The sales rep making the adjustments actually had the butt so far out, that he needed to add a 1/2" spacer. I don't know if this was right or not, but my son said it felt really comfortable.
My 13 yo son is 5-10 and shoots a youth skb century 3. The way teens grow you MUST get something adjustable or you will be buying a lot of guns. With the spacer, the youth century will extend to beyond standard adult length so this will last him quite a while. He loves it!
I have nearl 10 k rounds on a tss90 with zero issues. Will it last 100k? Who knows. Did it get me into an adjustable stock without breaking the bank? Yes.
I consider it a teaching tool for me to learn what I need/want before I drop big bucks on something else in the future.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If in Omaha I would definitely check out the Browning cx or cxt at Guns unlimited for fit. Excellent gun for your dollar. Good luck and welcome to the sport!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to Scheels today, they have the BT-99 with adjustable comb and butt plate with 34" barrel for $1599.00, which I didn't think it was bad. Actually if someone would have came over to try and sell it to me, I may have purchaed it.

What is everyones thoughts on the Winchester 101? Also, is there a preference on some of these adjustable butt plates?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts