Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need info about shooting glasses with RX insert...Need something that uses an insert lens that is FLAT like a normal pair of glasses.
Have tried to have insert made for Pilla HiDef Spex,but it has too much of a curve and after 3 attempts by optician we have given up due to the extreme curve (which completely changes the RX!).
Who has used a system that may work for me???
Thanks in advance.
Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the same situation several years ago. Due to my prescription, inserts would not be practical.

I have been using the Randolph Ranger Sporter frames and they work very well. Each year I would purchase 1 - 2 clip-on lens colors and change lens prescriptions as needed. I have several different lens colors in my bag, and my prescription will always match my daily glasses.

Something to consider.

Jerry

RANGER SPORTER FRAME

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Try NYX!! Not a Pilla by any means, but have good lens colors and an affordable insert.
I have been using the NYX glasses with a prescription insert for 10 years. There are a number of advantages to this system over Pilla, Randolph Engineering, or any of the rest. They insert is small, and sits very close to the eyes. The glasses have interchangeable lenses in every imaginable color.
They're polycarbonate, the frames are plastic, and the whole assembly is very light and comfortable and the double polycarbonate lenses are the best eye protection.you can get. The inserts are as good as any of the prescription lenses. They cost about $150. The frames are under $25 dollars, the lenses are around $22. If they get scratched up, I replace them. (I'm wearing them in my avatar picture)
They are comfortable and nice looking sun glasses when you're not using them for shooting. There are a few disadvantages. If you have a very small
nose, they may sit too close to your face, and fog up in humid weather. The outer lenses have no distortion, but they are not as crystal clear as a
$900 set of Pilla's.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have NYX glasses-unfortunately,the guy in California (Sved)no longer makes the RX inserts and will not even answer the phone or return calls! The guy at EAR (the distributor) doesn't have anyone else to make them.....
Have you had them made recently?
Paul in Virginia

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I have NYX glasses-unfortunately,the guy in California (Sved)no longer makes the RX inserts and will not even answer the phone or return calls! The guy at EAR (the distributor) doesn't have anyone else to make them.....
Have you had them made recently?
Paul in Virginia
That's a shock. Sved Optics made inserts for other glasses besides NYX. I hope NYX gets someone else to make them. In the meantime, I take back my recommendation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They look very similar to the Sunbuster Dude shooting glasses which are no longer made. I had 3 frames break at the same spot. I had to go to Ranger as I could not find any more replacement frames. My husbands are still great and we had used Sved Optics for the lens inserts as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I too struggled with my rx. My rx sunglasses and shooting glasses have to be flat or else I get this fish bowl affect. The only lenses that would fit the lense I need with also being economical was Randolph sporter. I would also talk to who ever makes your glasses about the lense material. I have the second rx put in a poly and high index plastic. ..and there were totally different night and day difference

·
Registered
483 Posts
I need info about shooting glasses with RX insert...Need something that uses an insert lens that is FLAT like a normal pair of glasses.
Have tried to have insert made for Pilla HiDef Spex,but it has too much of a curve and after 3 attempts by optician we have given up due to the extreme curve (which completely changes the RX!).
Who has used a system that may work for me???
Thanks in advance.
Paul in Virginia
Try Wayne at Morgan Optical .
Great customer service .
Soup

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Food for thought. You can improve the transmission and clarity of Polycarbonate lenses by having them AR coated on both surfaces. If you want inserts, have them AR coated on both surfaces as well. What you do not need are reflections and flare from four glass-to-air surfaces.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Food for thought. You can improve the transmission and clarity of Polycarbonate lenses by having them AR coated on both surfaces. If you want inserts, have them AR coated on both surfaces as well. What you do not need are reflections and flare from four glass-to-air surfaces.
No Pilla insert FOG up in summer will drive you crazy

·
Registered
189 Posts
The newer Pilla inserts will fog up, but the older ones don't.
Look for the Panther or Puma post with the RX nosepiece.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts