Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used Hornady 366 about 4 months ago and I love it. I'm able to crank out great looking shells with no fuss or bother. Here's my question: it's making a noise that I can't track down. At the bottom inch or two of the stroke, the machine makes a little squeaking/moaning sound. I've oiled all the friction points, including the platen drive bolts, and I can't figure out what's causing the noise. Any ideas? Thanks, John

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Take the shell plate off and make sure there is no shot/powder or other gunk underneath. I keep it nice and clean under there. You can even polish it with some fine steel wool. Then wipe clean and lube with some light oil. This is what i do.---Matt

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had the same issue and it turned out to be the rear cam (the large plate with the angled slot) was rubbing on the shot cutoff plate near the bottom of the stroke. It's easy to fix. Just loosen the two bolts holding the cam on and tilt the cam back just a little bit and retighten. You could also file a little bit of metal off the back of the shut cutoff plate if that suits you better.

If the top front of the rear cam is worn shiny and you have a little metal dust at the bottom where the two bolts are, this is your problem.

Phil

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Phil---Good call that was an issue i had(metal fillings) early on but mine never made any noise. I have an Old Pacific w/full indexing and that sucker still purrs like a kitten.---Matt

·
Registered
911 Posts
My DL266 does this and it is where the operating lever contacts the casting on the right side just above the hole for the big rod that goes thru the base casting horizontially. There is no thrust washer so when the operating rod moves horizontally it allows the lever to contact the base casting. Mine squeeks.

I put a very small amount of sticky grease (lubriplate or Moly lube) applied with a very small paint brush to just the area of contact. You don't need much, less than a toothpick full, apply to the rod where it contacts the casting.

This worked for me.

Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.