Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is 2 shots of #8 1ounve loads at 40 yards. To me it looks like 90 percent high,but this is my first time actually patterning a shotgun. Help me decipher what I have going on. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
Is the larger metal ring 30 inches? Is the center of the small circle your poa? I wonder how many pellet holes you have on the outside of your picture (left, right and above) ? I don't see how you can get much info from that picture alone. What choke were you using?

If you just want to find your point of Impact (POI) I suggest you use the method described below.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the ring is 30" wide and the center ring is where I was aiming. I was using my KX6S with the super full choke. I too am having a hard time telling what the heck is going on. I have never really patterned a gun before. I just make adjustments till I start hitting the target. I have no way to tell how many pellets missed high, left, or right.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
She is shooting high which a lot of people prefer (but everyone is different). I would say it is closer to 100% ish. Read the point of impact pdf I attached in my first post and you will be more informed.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,560 Posts
Next time....place your point of aim at the bottom center point of your 30” circle..... at the bottom edge of the line. The center of your circle is 15” above that point. Shoot at 13 yards so you can easily see the point of impact. Multiply the impact point in inches above your aim point, multiply it by 3, and that’s your “inches high” at 40 yards.

Example: 5” high at 13 yards = 15” high at 40 yards = “100 %” high pattern

The target is rising. You want to deliver the center of your pattern to where the target is going.

Reactions: BT-99

·
Registered
36 Posts
Next time....place your point of aim at the bottom center point of your 30” circle..... at the bottom edge of the line. The center of your circle is 15” above that point. Shoot at 13 yards so you can easily see the point of impact. Multiply the impact point in inches above your aim point, multiply it by 3, and that’s your “inches high” at 40 yards.

Example: 5” high at 13 yards = 15” high at 40 yards = “100 %” high pattern

The target is rising. You want to deliver the center of your pattern to where the target is going.
i have paterned my gun many times ,but not the way you are dooing it. I will definitly try your way ,thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
Why is poi @40 yards so important?Try 25-30 yards.At that yardage the poi is much easier to read.Also it is much closer to where the first shot of doubles and 16 targets are taken than 40 yards.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The average trap shooter hits the target about 30 yards out of the house. Which is 16 yards from the shooter. Pattern at 40/45 yards and you will know where your gun shoots at that distance.
Your effective pattern appears to be 100% high at the distance you shot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Guess I'm not average. 16 plus 30 equals 16? Must be new math.
He is saying Target from house is 30 yards and shooter from house is 16 yards, so you add those together (46). And he does say pattern 40/45 yards away.

I agree with dukefan follow the PDF and start at 13 yards to understand how many inches above.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There you go., I thought he was saying the target was 30 yards out of the house and 16 yards from the shooter. I thought maybe he was shooting angles at sporting clays. I did agree that if you pattern at 45 yards you would know where you were shooting at that distance. All things considered, I pattern for poi at 13 yards, but have also counted a lot of holes in paper shot at 30+ yards just to assess different pattern density with different loads. Depends on your objective.

·
Registered
20,333 Posts
He is saying Target from house is 30 yards and shooter from house is 16 yards, so you add those together (46). And he does say pattern 40/45 yards away.

I agree with dukefan follow the PDF and start at 13 yards to understand how many inches above.
No. He was saying the average shooter will break the target 15-20 yards out of the house, some shooters sooner. I break them around 12 yards out from the house.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No, I am saying that the AVERAGE shooter will break the target when it is APPROXIMATELY 30 yards out of the house. I have personally stood downrange on the next field to determine this. Some shooters are quicker, some slower. Add this 30 yards to the distance of the shooter from the house ( 16 yards ) and you have 46 yards , give or take, to the break point.
If you can pattern you gun at this distance why mess with any other distance ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’ve found that patterning tells me how the choke/load perform as well as it fixed poi of impact on a stationary object. I’ve found optimum poi performance by video taping the target impacts in slow motion and reviewing and recording. As your true poi is determined by several factors, call to shot timing, hold point etc. Fine tune from there. My two pennies. Cheers copey

1 - 20 of 21 Posts