Trapshooters Forum banner

Help me to choose my first semi auto shotgun pls

6908 Views 78 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  Tron
Hi guys,

I'm new to sport shooting and I would like to buy my first shotgun. During this Covid time, I can't really test the guns I'm interested on and I really don't know people or shop where I can see them. So maybe, some experienced people can help me choose ;)

I have registered in a club and the gun they rent is an o/u and it is too small for me. I tried a semi auto (first price around 500$CAD) and it suits me well. I'm a tall guy with long arms so I think a semi auto is a good choice.

So my short list is:
-> Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter 12GAx3″ 28″bbl
-> Franchi Affinity 3 Sporting 12GAx3″ 30″bbl

Why this choice? well, youtube videos, reliability, great looking shotguns (for me) and my price range.

What is my main goal?...well shooting with my buddies and have fun with a nice and reliable shotgun.

What I want to shoot exactly? Sporting clay, Traps, 5 stands, Skeet? In fact, I don't really know yet. Just want to break some clay targets as best I can. I'm looking for an all in one gun.

Sorry for my english...I'm doing my best.

I'll appreciated your answers.

Cheers,
Vincent
Reactions: Helix
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
For your mentioned clay games, Fabarm L4S 30". I've had many gas autos of different manufacturers and also different OUs......the L4S has been the best shooter and no need for aftermarket chokes. Would recommend the Fabarm screw in buttstock weight and the screw in forearm weight.

· Registered
6 Posts
I would be on the lookout for a used Beretta 390 or 391 the gun will last you a lifetime and very dependable!!! I have a few OU’s but seem to go back to the Beretta 391. I also have long arms and had to have the length of pull length adjusted.

· Registered
730 Posts
Welcome to the site. Another vote for the Beretta 391. Also the earlier versions of that gun are very good: 301, 302, and 303. I shot my 301 yesterday for sporting clays, and it’s equally at home on the trap range. Beretta semi autos are reliable, easy to clean, and parts are readily available. Happy shooting!

· Premium Member
2,426 Posts
I’ll second the A400. You can shoot the day lights out of them before having to do a heavy strip & clean. All these others mentioned are good choices as well but need to be cleaned more often. I had a 391 and it was a great gun but seemed to get dirty quicker. It had more use on it than my 400 so that may have something to do with it. If you buy an A400 Xcel you won’t be looking to upgrade as soon. Just mho.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Registered
3,718 Posts
Your English is much better than I can do in French. Try to find something that you can get serviced locally, so you don't have to send it away & wait days\weeks to get back to shooting. Anything\everything mechanical can and will need repair at some time.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.