Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a few pictures of an FN Browning Superposed with a solid rib and side plates.
I won it in an auction before the COVID lockdown and I finally got it to my local FFL for transfer.

The serial number of this gun is in the 62xxx range which dates around 1958.
I tried to look up the different model available for sale in Matt Eastman's Browning book ( pg 92 )
and was not able to find a regular model with side plates.

So I hope someone on TS.com can tell me a little bit more about the origin of this gun.
Is it a special order? Is it common or rare for a 57' FN Superposed to have side plates?

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

IMG_3342.jpeg

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,741 Posts
I can't help with your quest, but wish to send my congratulations on your find. It's very nice!

·
Registered
209 Posts
There were a very few high grade Superposed fitted with side plates. This gun is nothing like any of them I have seen pictured. Based on the quality of engraving I suggest this is an aftermarket alteration of a 50's Superposed. In the 50's and early 60's Browning guns were available to servicemen stationed in Japan at an extremely low price. It was also common to have the guns engraved by Japanese engravers at little cost. I think this might be such a gun.
If the barrel is markd"Browning Arms Company" it was originally sold in the U.S. and you can buy a report from Browning on the date it was shipped by Browning and the model identification.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Bob - this may answer my question.
The gun is unfortunately in the 10 days waiting period jail. When I get it back in a few days, I hope to take it apart to learn more about the side plates.

From what I saw briefly, the side plate was part of the receiver, maybe it was welded on? More to follow in 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Benjamin

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I had a chance to buy an aftermarket side plate Superposed with pretty good engravings @$2500, I didn't because it was a 26" field gun with after market English stock.

Reactions: 90292

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Steve! This gun has a set of 28" barrels opened up to SK/SK.
I hope to field test it in a few weeks. I do have a 30" F/M barrel and some other FN Diana engraved parts.
Let's see if it is worth the upgrade.

Do you have any photo of the Superposed with the aftermarket side plate? I hope to see the engraving.
Could you also enlighten me on how can an aftermarket engraver adds side plate to a plain jane Superposed receiver?

I would say the price I paid for this gun is comparable.

·
Vendor
19,512 Posts
My dad bought one around 1950. Mom sent it back to belgium to befitted with a set of skeet bbls and have the receiver engraved. I goto it when my dad passed away and I havesince passed it on to my daughters family and my grandson shoots it for HS skeet. Not a side plate model however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts