Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 28" M42 with a vented rib that runs the full length all the way back to the stock. Please see picture. Information on which company will install this type of rib on model 42 is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Could be either Moneymaker or Herter's. I've seen the Moneymaker name on some of their ribs. I've got a model 12 with what I've been told is a Herter's rib w/o any markings at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again gents for the quick responses. Couple more questions:
Which is preferred Herters or Moncey Maker?
Are these more or less desirable then Simmons?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Simmons and Moneymaker both made ribs of this style. Only good pictures of the matting pattern and the posts will tell us which it is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Herters rib that I had put on a friends model 12 many years ago had a rivit thru the rib into the receiver at the rearend of the receiver. Not very attractive!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Looks like a Moneymaker as I know Moneymaker ribs. Your rib is identical to the rib on one of my Model 42s. The best rib ever made, built like a steel bridge. This rib matting pattern is not a Simmons pattern. I am reluctant to believe that Herter actually made their own ribs. I don't know anything about the Herter rib.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now the real question : How much is this worth? How much of a refurb cost to take beater 42 to this condition? The wood on this gun is pretty decent. Just taking a poll to see if I got a good deal or not. I paid $1,800 for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Pat, I forgot to to mention this has a Mod choke not full like most M42 that I've seen.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Does it really matter what anyone else thinks of the price you paid for it ? If you are happy with the gun and the cost that is all that matters isn't it ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does it really matter what anyone else thinks of the price you paid for it ? If you are happy with the gun and the cost that is all that matters isn't it ?
So true but a little confirmation from the experts goes a long way....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts