Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a browning citori with a screw head stock bolt that I can't break loose. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I just went thru this same issue with a Citori. Finally, I sprayed a liberal amount of WD 40 down the hole and let the gun sit, stock up, for a couple of days. When I next tried, it came loose.

JON

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Jerry---I know exactly what your saying. I saw a guy(no wasn't me) bust the side of his stock out using the 'ole Craftsman mechanics screwdriver on his stock. I tried to offer some advice but he knew best. I'm sure a many have used a plain 'ole screwdriver sucessfully but your time is coming when it slips to one side.---Matt

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Have busted the side out of model 12 the same way...always use a piece of metal conduit pipe slide over bolt head..Hard Lesson Learned

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I like to wrap the shaft of the screw driver in two places with masking tape. This helps keep the shaft and blade lined up with the hole in the stock and the screw slot. Also if you use a screw driver with a square shaft you can use a wrench to apply the force needed to break it loose. HMB

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Great ideas on preventing the break out. When my friend did this on his Browning i didn't know if i should laugh or puke. Its sickening to see it happen. I had only warned him because a gunsmith had once warned me it could happen.

Matt

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If the screw won't come loose holding the screwdriver put the receiver in a vise on a drill press. Put a long shank srewdriver in the chuck, bring the screwdriver down and lock it in place against the screw. Use a wrench like hmb described and smack the wrench with a hammer to break it loose. This keeps the screwdriver in place against he screw. A milling machine is more rigid and works better but most of us don't have one in the garage.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have found using a screwdriver minus the handle in my 18 volt portable drill with the brake set on about the middle number did a great deal in loosing any screw. The vibration or shock of the drill loosened the screws in no time.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Most bike shops have a 3/8" drive impact wrench.. Grinding the head of a 3/8" extention..a few taps with a small hammer will start the bolt moving.. Old Frank Chambers used one forever on everything.. Frank worked on alot of duck blind guns.. where salt water took its toll.. This made life easy..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.