Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to wet sand my stock and forearm on my 686. It is a very dull matte brown color and I want to get a shine to it. I was going to start out with 1000 grit paper and soak it and go from there. My question is what components did yall use and what steps did yall take to do this. I have done this on a boat to shine up the gel coat but never with wood. So any advice or instructions would be great as to what solutions to use and so on and so forth.

Thank you

Garrett

·
Registered
759 Posts
If it's a sprayed built up finish you can bring it to high gloss buffing it with a muslin disc and an automotive buffing compound for clear coat. However the finish its self will still be a bit cloudy or milky. Larry

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking to get a blonde looking color. What stain would yall recommend to get that color out of the wood.

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
Bleach. Not stain. Only way to 'blonde out' a dark wood. Dilute household bleach 1 cup to 1 galon water. Brush or wipe onto clean ( NO finish ) wood. Expose to sunlight for 3 hours each side. Lightly sand to remove stickers/whiskers, coat with Tung Oil or other finish of your choice.

Be sure to wear gloves and be aware that the chlorine in the bleach will go directly into your bloodstream through your skin. You WILL belch bleach fumes and exhale bleach fumes from your lungs for the next 12 hours after working with the stuff if you are not protected.

Don T

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I am going to use citristrip to take it down to the bare wood then bleach it with 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water to get a lighter color then sand with light grit paper then use tru oil to get a shine.

Does this sound right to yall? What exactly will the bleach and water do?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have applied tru oil and got a good shine. Do I need to put a sealer on it or anything? Or do I just leave it be?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
No sealer needed. If you get a ding or scratch on the wood a fresh coat of truoil will make it disappear.

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts