Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has a question. In his words, "
I bought a Savage Stevens 5100 20g sxs, made in 1949. It’s in very nice condition but I always like things to look nicer, fix up the old girl. So far I’ve only disassembled it into large pieces and cleaned the metal work. I did strip, sand and oil the stock. Looks very nice. The question, if I were to start working on the metal, say de-rusting the receiver, would that reduce the value of such a gun? I paid $600. It’s not exactly a collector’s item or an heirloom. De-rusting the receiver would remove the remains of the rainbow from the surface. I’d be left with a shiny steel surface to either leave matte or take to a polish. The bluing on the barrel, trigger guard and release lever is excellent and will be left alone."

Can you give me some guidance on what he should do?

Thanks!

cap

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Rainbow sorta implies color case hardening. If he removes the color he reduces value. Have to know a bit more.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Any time the original condition of a gun is altered the collectable value is hurt, that does not however alter the practical/useable value of a gun. I have seen time and time again when someone cleans up or changes the appearance of a "non collectible old shooter" and bring it up to a more modern look that it increases the value of an "inexpensive old firearm" I took the time to check on Gunbroker and other sites and there are many of these listed in the 200- 300 range, so it really is not a collectable gun. I would suggest he makes it look like he wants it and enjoy it. GSR

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
If the "rainbow" looks like this, as said they are original Stevens cyanide colors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts