Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the threads I viewed recently there was a link for a product that you applied to the lens of your shooting glasses on your off eye. There was multiple strengths in this "kit" - some had small holes some had narrow vertical slits. The idea was to obscure your off eye enough to prevent it from trying to take over without having to close the eye completely.

Before you yell at me for not searching the forum - I have searched a lot using the words eye, cross, dominance.... I thought it was on the recent 1 eye vs. 2 eye thread but I'm not seeing the link. I went through my internet history for anything that looked like a shooting supply store. and didn't come up with it

Obviously I can't remember the actual name of the things.... I have spent several hours trying to re-find the link, if you know what it is I saw, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks a bunch,

DC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't search for "offeye" - computers are so damn literal. Thanks Dukefan - it was making me crazy not finding these things.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Magic Dot, you get 24 dots for $15.
Avery 5473, you get 1015 dots for less than $10. They are just different shades of see thru dots.

·
Registered
503 Posts
used frosted scotch tape for years. Also the champion easy hit front sight is basically a tube sight and you can only see it if the correct eye is looking down it.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Forums would get really boring without a little thread drift and bull snot. I would like to think that other viewers might glean some knowledge from civil interaction.

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
Forums would get really boring without a little thread drift and bull snot. I would like to think that other viewers might glean some knowledge from civil interaction.
I'll remember that the next time someone doesn't like one of my jokes.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I had cataract surgery on my right eye 3 weeks ago. I have used the hooded fiber optic bead on all my shotguns for at least 10 years. When duck or pheasant hunting and nobody is keeping score, I wear the tape patch on my left lens. The only reason that I did not use the tape patch consistently for trapshooting was because I am in the habit of holding my gun over the trap house and the tape patch would give me a blind spot when my barrel was in the way unless I held a lower gun. After many trials I concluded that my scores were a little better without the tape patch. With the cataract in my right eye my vision was so poor that I could not dare use the patch because I would not be able to see the target. Last weekend I went to my first shoot after the surgery and shot better than I had for a long time. The floaters are still there and I think the evil cross fire fairy can still come back to haunt me but at least now I could use a patch and I am willing to try this filter idea because it looks like I can still hold over the trap house instead of a hold on the house with a lot of vertical movement of the gun. Click on About to read the discussion of the theory:

OffEye Optical Filters

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have this problem a bit myself. I'm a right hand shooter but see the bead equally or more-so with my left eye. I tried masking my left eye but didn't care for it (but did work). On a hunch I ordered one of these https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/615/615019.jpg which is the Champion Easy Hit Shotgun Fiber Optic Front Sight 2.5mm Green 5". They come in red or green. Green works great for me day or night. You can also get this in a shorter version. I went with the longer version since I often shoot under lights and this allows it to "capture" enough light to work really well.

This was the best $18 I ever spent on a firearm accessory. The beauty of this optic is that there is a tunnel you need to look through (as miketmx mentioned above) and the fiber optic sight can only be seen with the proper eye. It's impossible to see the fiber optic with the off eye (blocked by the tunnel). You can then concentrate on the clay in the air and not worry about which bead to use, since you only see one. :)

If you want to see if this would work for you, cut a 1 or 2" piece of a soda straw and tape it to your rib right in front of the bead creating a tunnel. This will give you a rough idea how the optic mentioned above will work. I liked this better as the blockage on the glasses was a distraction for me and partially blocked my view of the house.

·
Registered
751 Posts
dctrap50, I bought a set of the offeye filters a couple years ago. I think their design is good, but I could not get mine to stay in place. They are supposed to be a static cling, but I couldn't get them to stay on for a round so now I use little white stick on label tape. Works for me. Good luck if you try them.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You can beat cross dominance issues by just dropping your off eyelid a little. This gives you a full field of view, full depth of vision, and no annoying things blocking your off eye. With the eyelid down, it forces the shooting eye to maintain dominance. I had a real problem with cross dominance, and this worked best for me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Until 6 weeks ago, I was a right eye dominant two eye shooter, for like a bajillion years. But my singles scores were all of the board as of late, and caps had dropped to low 80's on the 25 yard line.

A wise man named Kiner thought I was cross-firing. He did not tell me to go to one eye, but thought that cross firing could be my issue. The thought of going to one eye really bummed me out. After giving it a think for a few weeks I tried all the tricks, and they threw me off – sight blinders, tape, dots and mesh on glasses. Whenever I tried to distract the left eye my brain fought it big time.

Finally I just closed my left eye (like most people say you should never do). Well it worked for me, caps average went up 9 birds, singles up 4 birds. The game is finally fun again and my brain is "at peace" before I call for the shot.

What is weird is how people are bothered by my switch to one eye. Especially closing my left eye. I get the depth perception thing, but this works for me. Thank goodness I had the support and good advice from fellow one-eyed shooters Sandra J. and Curt P. in the transition.

I think this game should be about whatever works. The results are the results. Do what works for you.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You can beat cross dominance issues by just dropping your off eyelid a little. This gives you a full field of view, full depth of vision, and no annoying things blocking your off eye. With the eyelid down, it forces the shooting eye to maintain dominance. I had a real problem with cross dominance, and this worked best for me.
I can do that for 50 or 75 targets, but at an event when you are shooting 300-4-- targets in a day, my eyes get too tired.

I have this problem a bit myself. I'm a right hand shooter but see the bead equally or more-so with my left eye. I tried masking my left eye but didn't care for it (but did work). On a hunch I ordered one of these https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/615/615019.jpg which is the Champion Easy Hit Shotgun Fiber Optic Front Sight 2.5mm Green 5". They come in red or green. Green works great for me day or night. You can also get this in a shorter version. I went with the longer version since I often shoot under lights and this allows it to "capture" enough light to work really well.

This was the best $18 I ever spent on a firearm accessory. The beauty of this optic is that there is a tunnel you need to look through (as miketmx mentioned above) and the fiber optic sight can only be seen with the proper eye. It's impossible to see the fiber optic with the off eye (blocked by the tunnel). You can then concentrate on the clay in the air and not worry about which bead to use, since you only see one. :)

If you want to see if this would work for you, cut a 1 or 2" piece of a soda straw and tape it to your rib right in front of the bead creating a tunnel. This will give you a rough idea how the optic mentioned above will work. I liked this better as the blockage on the glasses was a distraction for me and partially blocked my view of the house.
Ok.....so....if you're not looking at the bead (ie bead checking), and you're looking at the target like you are supposed to do.....how doed this work. My thought is you need to keep the non dominant eye from seeing the TARGET....not the BEAD. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It's really hard to understand if you don't experience it. To try and give an idea try this:

Pick a spot on the wall and stair at it. Now take your index finger on the same side of the body you think you are eye dominant and use it like a front sight.
You WILL see two fingers although for many people one stands out more than the other. Now while still "aiming" at your wall target close your left eye and see if you are dead on your target. If so you are right eye dominant. If you close your right eye and you are still pointing at your target you are left eye dominant. I think most people get this exercise.

Now what happens to some people is that one finger is to the left of the target and one is to the right OR if performed multiple times sometimes the left image is correct and sometimes the right finger. Neither finger is always on the target. This person has an eye problem or has one type of cross-eye dominant problem (neither eye is dominant). It doesn't really show up as a problem with a rifle or pistol as you "truly aim" and focus, but with a shotgun where you are focused on a moving target and only see the bead without focusing on it... For this type of person it's really hard to train yourself to use the "left" or "right" bead since neither is actually on the target.

It's a wicked problem that usually requires some method of making sure the person can only see one bead (tunnel, tape on glasses, one eye closed).

Many people who think they are cross-eye dominant really aren't (they just see two fingers/beads but one of them is "accurate") and are seeing what they should see. So are you can imagine, no amount of practice or drills will help you to use the left or right bead you see while focused on the target since neither is accurate (since the target is between the two)!

For me the tunnel type fiber optic works really well as I now only see one "bead" with my right eye only while focused on the clay flying by. This allows me to shoot with both eyes open without any obstruction on my shooting glasses.

Hopefully that helps to explain one of the problems some people experience.

·
Banned
848 Posts
Nearly any instructor, coach or top shooter I have ever talked about cross dominance said that the best way to deal with that is to learn to shoot on the same side as the dominant eye. It does take practice and serious dedication, especially at the beginning... but, if persistent, a shooter will be much better off in the long run. I know at least 2 shooters that did exactly that. It took them roughly 4-6 month to get comfortable and confident but now, both are clay crushing machines. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My system works for those who have an occasional cross dominance problem, where for some reason, the off eye takes over from the right (or "shooting") eye. I am a two eyed shooter, and do okay shooting two eyes, but cross dominance rears its ugly head every so often, with no warning. I have found that dropping the left eyelid keeps this from happening.
Mikeeh, you say your eyes get too tired. Is it your eyes, or is it the muscles in your eyelid? I don't squint, or force the eyelid down, just relax it a bit so it droops. I can shoot a 300 bird day no problem doing it this way. If it is, in fact, your eyes getting tired, I would think that you actually have a dominant off eye, and you are inducing eye strain by shooting using the non-dominant eye.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts