Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new case and never set the codes from 000 but were driving over to drop my son off at school today and he randomly starts rolling them around on one latch. It was in the open position when he did this but he has inadvertantly set a combination and he has no idea what it is. Now it is locked and can not be used on that latch. Can you re-set these without knowing the original combination? How can I get this thing open to use the latch again?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Go to a place that sell nice luggage. Actually there is a tab on the back side of the lock that you use to set the combination, maybe you can play with that.

HM

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
000,001,002,003,..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................999

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If its an Americase, you can't charge the combination by just rolling the numbers. It has a two step procedure. As mentioned try 000, 001, 002, 003.......

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice and PM. I tried the business card to catch the wheel as said from another and I could not get it.

Update, my 14 year old son (the athlete with no patience) that locked it tried for about 30 minutes and gave up. My 17 year old son that shoots with me all the time is a puzzle genius and loves a challenge. We were sitting here watching a movie and BAM he gets it through pure persistance and staying focused. With a big smile he said to his little brother..."well now you can do my chores this week for helping you"

I never thought much of the combination locks since a screwdriver can pop them open. I never set them in fear of locking them and having to break open. BUT a guy should set the code at least to something easy to remember just for these type of deals...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, you should set the code to something you can remember! How about "000"? Anyone ever know of a thief who would spend time trying to open a locked gun case? Why would you steal a gun and not take the case it is in with it? DUH?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Depends on brand of case.Mine is a crest.Supposedly you can change combination anytime,I'll PM you to tell you how,wouldn't want some observer to use it to get into anothers case.

Doug H.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Call Americase! The 'wheels' all have a slot on the axle, once you line them up, the lock will open and then you can reset

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Go with 000, most combos roll to zero and stop. Thus you can open it in the dark. Mass. Requires transport in a locked case, not real sure how secure a shotgun is in a case you can pop open with a screwdriver?? But it makes the a holes feel better!

Did anyone watch the ABC 20/20 piece on Friday night???

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I keep the red tag tie in the two side wheels, so it's always 000. I keep the center one 000 with no red tag tie, so I can roll it incase there're transportation laws.

As most stated above, there's very little reason to lock a shotgun case unless you want to run the risk of broken locks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go online there is a way to "pick it". Then take a paper clip put a small loop on one end and put it through the holes on the lock and loop the other end to disable the lock. Any one can easily and/or inadvertently reset the code. I'm in agreement with stevew. mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts