Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting some Sporting Clays yesterday when diffugalty struck. My 1100 12 ga. Sporting spit out the operating handle for the second time in about 500 rounds. I found it, put it back in place and finished up without any more trouble. However, I know something is worn out and I'll probably need to replace some parts. If you've been through this drill.... how did you fix the problem? Your parts source would be helpful, too. Thanks.

FYI: My 1100 Sporting is about 12 years old and has about 4-5000 rounds through it. I usually only shoot light 1 ounce loads, mostly new Fiocchi's, which is what I was shooting. Also, I'm using a Timney pull trigger which has been flawless since the 1100 was new. Factory trigger has never been used.......appreciate any and all help on this "snotty" little problem.....thanks again.

Ernie ....in AZ

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMB....no idea what type, just the factory issue that came with the gun. Can you enlighten me more??

Thanks........

Ernie.... In AZ

·
Registered
507 Posts
Try this with the bolt out of the gun. When you place the operating handle in place, does click into place? Maybe the detent ball is missing on the bolt, or the notch in the handle is worn. Those seem to be the factors to consider.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Old style action bars had the detent ball on the bottom of the handle slot and the old style matching handle had a detent ball hole drilled under the bottom. The new style has the ball in the back of the action bar handle slot and a notch cut in the back of the handle. Both styles have little springs that may fail. There are a lot of problems happening on new 1187 guns losing handles. Jeff

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigbore613.....thanks for info.

This 1100 Hose-a-matic has the newer style action bar with the detent ball at the rear end of the action bars and the operating handle has the rearward notch TO ENGAGE the ball. I've had 8 1100's over the past 40 years...never had this problem before. The detent ball is in place and the operating handle doesn't appear worn.....but then it leaves home on occasion. So....looking for the fix, eh. Thanks all...

Ernie....in AZ

·
Registered
76 Posts
a lot of the time you can get something holding the detent ball down.
I hold down the detent ball and blowout with compressed air this sould take care of it but it is also possible that the detent spring is broken or collapsed

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check for the detent ball spring....which is a new one on me. But.....any fix be a good one. Thanks guys ....other ideas still welcome especially re parts needed to correct.

Shooting Sporting in the desert 70 degree heat is fun but scrounging for an operating handle in the scrub brush is not. The "critters" are supposedly still hibernating but ya know, some of them didn't read the book. Using the magnetic hull pick up ALWAYS.

Thanks for the help and ideas......

Ernie....in AZ

·
Registered
408 Posts
One of the better sources for Remington parts is . . . Remington. Many small parts also on ebay for three or four times the price of new parts direct from the factory.

After checking the ball, my best bet would be to drill the detent a 'tich deeper. It shouldn't need to be done, but ...

Norm

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd start w/buying an extra operating lever, JIC you can't find the ejected one when/if that day comes.

The 'fix' is likely to be replacing both the spring & deten ball w/new parts. Wear safety glasses when doing it, same as you do when shooting.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Used spray cleaner on the detent ball and spring, let dry, then lube. Manually operate it while cleaning and lubing.

New operating handles have dual patterns on them for either style of detent.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Remember to bring a metal detector with you when you go to shoot. This will make finding it a lot easier. Another idea I had was to connect the op handle to the trigger guard with a piece of string. What do you think? HMB

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HMB and Roger.....I'm gonna try the strIng attachment idea in case the operating handle takes another trip. I've notched the operating handle a tad bit more too, as Roger suggested. We'll see what happens when I get to shoot this bad boy again.

Thanks all for the help and ideas.

Ernie.....in AZ

·
Registered
453 Posts
My old 1100 the notch in the handle had worn and was loose.

Welded it up filed it down for a snug fit, filed a sharp new notch in the proper location.

No more problem.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have an 1100 skeet model with the same problem. It can be repaired but my solution is to just put the operating handle in my pocket. You really don't need it unless the gun jams or you decide not to fire the round(s) in the gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts