Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an old man wanted to finally get into skeet/trap shooting. Been wanting to try it for years but have not gotten around to it. I have an old cheap 0/u 12 gauge that I am going to try and shoot my first round of skeet/trap next week. Been shooting pistols/rifles since I was a very young boy, but never even seen a round of trap or skeet shot. I have been reloading pistols and rifles for over 35 years but new to shotgun reloading. I am very interested in learning both sides of the sport and hopefully have fun and not worry about scores. I just want the fun side of the games, and I just started reloading 12 gauge shotgun only to shoot reduced loads. I also just bought a Mec 600 Jr in 410 to try my luck at sub gauge shooting. Only have a single shot 410 but looking at buying a budget O/U for the 410. I know its crazy to think about 410 with no experience but I want to enjoy the sport with beating up my old shoulder. I have enough back problems and arthritis already so do not need more pain while having fun. Wanting to learn from the folks who know the secrets of learning the new shotgun sports. Looking at Yildiz 410 at Academy and Tristar 410's right now both 0/u and maybe a Mossberg 500 410 but not crazy about the full choke on
Thanks
blr

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5-Stand. Try it all have fun with it. There are ways to shoot a 12 ga. without beating up your shoulder. Shells, recoil device, good gun fit will put you in there with a 12 ga.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck and welcome to the sport. A lot of people will bad mouth the Yildiz and other Turkish guns, but they’re ok for light use as long as you understand that one day it’ll break and it’s probably cheaper to throw it away than fix it. My brother in law bought one in 20 g and has about 5k rounds without issue so far. It suits his uses fine. I probably would have already worn it out but I shoot more than he does.

Another thing to consider is trap and skeet are completely different games. Go shoot a few rounds of each and see which you like more. Sub gauge is better suited to skeet so if you are drawn to trap you might want to hold off on buying the 410.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,240 Posts
Just an old man wanted to finally get into skeet/trap shooting. Been wanting to try it for years but have not gotten around to it. I have an old cheap 0/u 12 gauge that I am going to try and shoot my first round of skeet/trap next week. Been shooting pistols/rifles since I was a very young boy, but never even seen a round of trap or skeet shot. I have been reloading pistols and rifles for over 35 years but new to shotgun reloading. I am very interested in learning both sides of the sport and hopefully have fun and not worry about scores. I just want the fun side of the games, and I just started reloading 12 gauge shotgun only to shoot reduced loads. I also just bought a Mec 600 Jr in 410 to try my luck at sub gauge shooting. Only have a single shot 410 but looking at buying a budget O/U for the 410. I know its crazy to think about 410 with no experience but I want to enjoy the sport with beating up my old shoulder. I have enough back problems and arthritis already so do not need more pain while having fun. Wanting to learn from the folks who know the secrets of learning the new shotgun sports. Looking at Yildiz 410 at Academy and Tristar 410's right now both 0/u and maybe a Mossberg 500 410 but not crazy about the full choke on
Thanks
blr
Get a good semi-auto and a shell deflector if you’re worried about recoil. Load light loads 7/8oz or 1Oz. If that’s not enough, get a recoil reducer.

Agree with above about a used quality gun. If you’re dead set on skeet, the sub gauges are fine, but don’t shoot 410 for recoil.

Also skeet v. Trap is not an OR proposition. They are very different. Just like pistol and rifle are very different. Choose trap. You’ll be glad you did. Or do both. Just realize they aren’t synonymous or interchangeable.

Lastly, don’t mind Tron or his dog. He’s all bark. He doesn’t like threats to his Trolling crown.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Sir, I just loaded some 7/8 oz loads with # 8 for the 12 gauge to try next week, and may try 3/4 oz after that. Right now the first concern is hitting something with my old eyes. I did not mean to double post but internet dropped out. Did do something wrong with the mean dog post??

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Yes Sir, I just loaded some 7/8 oz loads with # 8 for the 12 gauge to try next week, and may try 3/4 oz after that. Right now the first concern is hitting something with my old eyes. I did not mean to double post but internet dropped out. Did do something wrong with the mean dog post??
No, that's just Tron demonstrating his passion for Turkish guns.

/sarcasm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I understand completely with that. Not exactly what I want to buy, but he will probably hate the Baikal MP-301 that I bought about 7 years ago to shoot trap. That is all I have right now, and my budget is limited especially since I do not know if I will like trap or skeet. I have a stressful day job and I can go by the range on the way home and hopefully unload stress on clays? Just thinking as long as I look at it as fun, I will not get upset with all the misses. Tried benchrest at 600 yards and loved it but my eyes will not let me see bullet holes at that range, so sold my equipment and looking for something else. Thanks for the help guys. I will update after my trip to the range on Tuesday weather permitting that is.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
An AR-15 and a 12" gong at 100 yards is a better way to get rid of that work stress. Not terribly challenging, but still fun when the gong rings whether it's the first shot of the day or 1000th. Trap is fun, sometime even Skeet can be, and if you just want to get out and shoot casually, run what ya brung. If you decide to get serious, there are many here who have BTDT, and can give good advice.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
When you go to the range, make sure you let them know that you are a beginner with a shotgun. I am sure they will have some one there who will show you the ropes.

Does you O/U have changeable chokes?

For Skeet you should use Skeet Chokes (.005) constriction. Many Skeet Shooters use Skeet chokes in both barrels. If you do not have a Skeet choke, just use the most open choke you have in the top barrel and the next most open in the bottom. When shooting doubles in Skeet you shoot the out going bird first then the incomer. Beginners tend to be a little slow and take the outgoing bird past the center stake. You will see what I mean when you get to the Skeet field.

For Trap at the 16 yard line start with an Improve Modified choke (IM). If you only have a Modified (Mod) and a Full start with the Modified. Switch to the Full as soon as you regularly shot in the 20's. Second thought, since you are shooting reduced loads, start with the Full choke.

Hold off buying a new 410 shotgun. Save that money and get a decent O/U. If you get into Sub-gauge Skeet I think you will be better off getting tubes that fit in your new O/U.

To start off just shoot your O/U with reduced loads.

Jason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it has 4 chokes with it but have not done any patterning work with it.

I work in Gastonia NC and they have a City run trap/skeet range on my way home. Will quick and easy to go by.

Been there done that with AR's, bolt guns and pistols just bored with it like someone said not very challenging but fun. I like challenges it makes us grow stronger.

I will ask for help at the range as I sure need it. Much to learn guys and Thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes, it has 4 chokes with it but have not done any patterning work with it.

I work in Gastonia NC and they have a City run trap/skeet range on my way home. Will quick and easy to go by
Been there done that with AR's, bolt guns and pistols just bored with it like someone said not very challenging but fun. I like challenges it makes us grow stronger.

I will ask for help at the range as I sure need it. Much to learn guys and Thanks
I spent many a days and nights working in Gastonia thru the 80's and 90's setting up and moving one plant into another. I loved my days working down there. I believe I shot at that community club. Don't remember many specifics of it though. Remember it was close to the shop.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Tightest to most open: Full, IM, Mod, Cyl. If you have calipers you can measure the end. First chance you can get to the patterning board to get a visual image of what the patterns look like. Also to see where your Point of Impact is. 20 yards for the Mod and Cyl; 30 yards for the Full and IM.

Skeet shooting with your O/U: Top Barrel Cyl, Lower Barrel Mod. Shoot outgoing birds with the Lower Barrel. Incoming birds with the top barrel.

Trap 16 yd singles and Handicap just screw in the Full choke in the bottom barrel. Remember to just load the bottom barrel. If you shoot Doubles Mod in the bottom, 1st shot; Full in the top, 2nd shot.

Shooting a shotgun at a moving target, you point and do not aim. Your focus should be on the target. To begin with establishing lead, try the swing through system.

Trap if you can try and shoot with both eyes open, hold about 2 feet above the house. Call and swing to the target and shoot right at it.

Skeet same deal hold a couple of feet off of the window on the estimated line of the target. Call and swing to the target and shoot right at it. On post 3,4,5 you may need to clear the target for firing. Later on you can experiment with the different methods of establishing lead. The folks at the club may suggest the maintain/sustain lead method, if so do as they instruct. That system is harder to learn, but will results in more consistent good scores when mastered.

Jason

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Welcome to our world of trapshooting.! Its a wonderful place to hang around.
To kick start your fun, you should take some time to learn the basics. There are several ways to save yourself time and money...clinics, videos, books and helpful shooters at your club.
Think about this, have you ever started something new without some kind of education? Learning the fundamentals will make shooting more fun and less work.
Not knowing where you live, the weather can be against you at this time of year. Use the bad weather as time to learn so when Spring is spring, you will have a solid foundation on which to build.
Good luck and good shooting.
Mrs. Leo Harrison

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
U have all the chokes you need for your gun . Learning to shoot Skeet with a .410 ??? NO !! Not much shot in it . A 20 Ga is a way to go at Skeet or Sporting clay targets . If your shoulder hurts from shooting with your old gun > wrong spot on it and/or change the recoil pat . Gun hits you on the cheek ? Change the pitch

1 - 20 of 26 Posts