Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening! I have a few shotguns in the collection I've acquired over time and am thinking about giving trap shooting a try (just for fun, not competition)
Was thinking about buying a Winchester 12ga sxp compact trap 30"...I like the feel and it's on sale at my local shop..also I've always had pump guns and am comfortable with them. Basically wondering if I should get a longer barreled gun with the comb stock or just use one one of the guns I have? Have considered semi-auto guns but the price seems steep since this will just be to unwind on a Saturday with friends

The following are the shotguns I have, all 12ga
870 28" barrel magpul stock
Mossberg 500 28" full choke barrel
H&R model 158 30" full choke (single shot)
Winchester sxp compact 26" barrel (girlfriends gun)

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
Welcome to Trapshooters.com and the sport of trapshooting. Ultimately out of the shotguns you have listed I would choose to recreate with the Mossberg 500. and in light of that if you are on a budget invest in the SXP 30 ". We have one at our local club that has had quite a few rounds thru it and is running strong so far.
As you say that you are comfortable with pump guns it would be a good choice and the XSP is trap orientated and will give a Point of Impact more orientated towards consistent trapshooting.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just use one of the guns you have for right now. Get comfortable shooting trap at your local club. I'm sure there will be people there more than willing to help you get started with the basics. If and when you get hooked like the rest of us then you can start worrying about other trap guns. Be prepared though, you will soon be wanting guns that cost thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands of dollars. Welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. Just use one of the guns you have for right now. Get comfortable shooting trap at your local club. I'm sure there will be people there more than willing to help you get started with the basics. If and when you get hooked like the rest of us then you can start worrying about other trap guns. Be prepared though, you will soon be wanting guns that cost thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands of dollars. Welcome to the addiction!
Walking thru Cabela's it amazes me at the price of some of the shotguns! I'm mainly a pistol and rifle shooter and I know what goes into a complex high dollar target/hunting rifle but a shotgun seems rather simple compared to that yet some are very expensive

·
Registered
297 Posts
Walking thru Cabela's it amazes me at the price of some of the shotguns! I'm mainly a pistol and rifle shooter and I know what goes into a complex high dollar target/hunting rifle but a shotgun seems rather simple compared to that yet some are very expensive
Unless your Cabelas happens to have something over the top in their fine gun room, you haven't seen anything yet.
And welcome to the fun and addiction.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless your Cabelas happens to have something over the top in their fine gun room, you haven't seen anything yet.
And welcome to the fun and addiction.
Most expensive I've seen in the gun room was around $4100 for a single shot, don't remember the brand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to Trapshooters.com and the sport of trapshooting. Ultimately out of the shotguns you have listed I would choose to recreate with the Mossberg 500. and in light of that if you are on a budget invest in the SXP 30 ". We have one at our local club that has had quite a few rounds thru it and is running strong so far.
As you say that you are comfortable with pump guns it would be a good choice and the XSP is trap orientated and will give a Point of Impact more orientated towards consistent trapshooting.

Thanks George! Sorry if it's a dumb question, what do you mean by "will give a point of impact more orentated towards consistent trap shooting" just trying to absorb as much info as possible before I head out to the range/gun shopping. Any reason the m500 over the 870?

My local shop has the sxp 30" trap gun currently on sale for $359.

·
Vendor
2,067 Posts
Welcome to Trapshooters.com and the sport of trapshooting, a lifelong addition for some. Enjoy the outdoors and the freedom we have!

Don Rackley

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm a pump gun guy too, Rem.31. You don't state the choke of the Rem. 870?? I would try both for a few rounds\boxes then shoot the one you break the most targets with. You will most likely find it easier to get bbls--stocks--etc. for the 870. If you want\need a higher comb just get a lace-on or stick-on, also you can build-up the comb a little with mole skin. Main thing---have FUN. Ross Puls

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a pump gun guy too, Rem.31. You don't state the choke of the Rem. 870?? I would try both for a few rounds\boxes then shoot the one you break the most targets with. You will most likely find it easier to get bbls--stocks--etc. for the 870. If you want\need a higher comb just get a lace-on or stick-on, also you can build-up the comb a little with mole skin. Main thing---have FUN. Ross Puls

The 28" barrel is threaded for chokes I have a IC, mod, skeet and full choke for it. Also have a 30" wingmaster full choke barrel

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Most expensive I've seen in the gun room was around $4100 for a single shot, don't remember the brand.
Seriously, that's about the average price of the trap guns for most competitive trap shooters. Many have several that fit that bill or more.

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
Im thinking the M550 is a field type model? The 870 has a magpul stock which is a type of tactical stock? You do not see tactical stocks work out very well on the trap or sporting field as far as POI which for the most part would be very flat and for some the length of pull can be quite short.
As far as the Winchester it has a slightly higher rib along with a higher comb on the stock and it is orientated towards trap where a higher POI is desirable for a lot of shooters.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
If you want to learn the fundamentals over this winter, you will be ready for competition in the spring.....competition doesn't have to be anything more involved than maybe challenging your buddy to win a coke. I continue to market my husband's instructional videos and his singles/handicap DVD is very much like taking a class. It covers all the basics. Let me know if I can help...and welcome to the best sport on earth!
Mrs. Leo Harrison III

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMG_5894.PNG
Im thinking the M550 is a field type model? The 870 has a magpul stock which is a type of tactical stock? You do not see tactical stocks work out very well on the trap or sporting field as far as POI which for the most part would be very flat and for some the length of pull can be quite short.
As far as the Winchester it has a slightly higher rib along with a higher comb on the stock and it is orientated towards trap where a higher POI is desirable for a lot of shooters.

The m500 is a field gun, the magpul stock is a mix of traditional/tactical basically just has a different hand grip angle and adjustable LOP (Not my gun but wanted to show an example of the magpul stock)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want to learn the fundamentals over this winter, you will be ready for competition in the spring.....competition doesn't have to be anything more involved than maybe challenging your buddy to win a coke. I continue to market my husband's instructional videos and his singles/handicap DVD is very much like taking a class. It covers all the basics. Let me know if I can help...and welcome to the best sport on earth!
Mrs. Leo Harrison III

I'd be interested in taking a look at the DVD, where can I find it?

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
Definitely out of the shotguns you have on hand shoot the Mossberg 500 :) As other members have posted there are a lot of shotguns out there and you will want to take the opportunity to take a look at a lot of them in and around your price range when you are looking to buy. Use your local club as a resource and talk to other shooters about their equipment.
Doing a search on this site will definitely help you out also :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely out of the shotguns you have on hand shoot the Mossberg 500 :) As other members have posted there are a lot of shotguns out there and you will want to take the opportunity to take a look at a lot of them in and around your price range when you are looking to buy. Use your local club as a resource and talk to other shooters about their equipment.
Doing a search on this site will definitely help you out also :)

Thanks :) I'll stick with the m500 for starting out and keep browsing other guns. In the under $500 range are there anyone in addition to the Winchester sxp you'd recommend looking into? My knowledge of shotguns is extremely limited and any advice would be helpful

1 - 20 of 62 Posts