Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys, I need recommendations for a good heavy duty 1/2 inch corded drill. I need it for general purpose including mixing, driving hundreds of screws for rebuilding my deck, etc. Please do not bother with a cordless rec! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I was an electrical contractor, my residential teams, used Makita drills, the reserving switch built into the trigger was great when rough in houses. Never had one fail. The men would change the brushes on a regular basis.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I bought a Makita 1/2 hammer drill cased @ Home Depot this past Summer for $99.00 the corded stuff is getting cheap, take a look around buy a demo unit if you can?

Jim

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
I have a Porter-Cable 1/2 inch angle drill and with the gearbox on low you could turn your house around. The angle drive can be reversed to change RPM.

I have a more compact Milwaukee with a detachable cord (I like that) and it's quite strong and easy to carry around. I need them both.

You have to decide first if you want a D-Handle or a compact model. Lots of deck work, a compact. More heavy stuff, a D handle.

HM

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Milwaukee for three reasons:

1. Very dependable with plenty of torque.

2. After years of service it can be rebuilt to original condition.

3. Re-sale value is excellent..

Tom......I just re built my deck with composite decking. If that is what you are going to use keep some extra saw blades around. I noticed that composite will dull a blade faster than wood.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Use the drill till the project is done --return to Lowes/Home Depot--say it sux--they'll take it back no ? Cheapest tool rental out there !!!!

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Phil,

On one thread you are worried about a baby falling out of a golf cart,

then you are telling people you are willing to steal from Lowes/Home Depot.

Sort of hard to figure out what kind of a person you are.

Ron Burdick

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
They repackage it & sell it as new---they do that all the time--so who's stealing from who? Do you think all the tools that are returned to the big box store go away?

I'm trying to save a fellow shooter a few $$$ from spend $$$ on a drill that will never be used again i his lifetime.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I agree Ron, it take a special kind of person to live life that way.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Well I'm such an a==hole, I bought a youth shooter a Browning XT, & I bought 2 clubs complete Erad systems-- I care for my fellow shooters---not the system, since the mom & pop stores when away, to hell with the big box stores-- that no one knows who you are and they care less.

Learn how to play them as much as they play you !!!

Phil Brkowitz

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I've been very pleased with my Milwaukee 1/2" corded drill, which has a 360* forward grip and a depth stop. I've had it for several years. I was using it recently with a long 1" auger bit to core deep holes in fresh stumps for decomposing chemicals. Had no problem swiss cheesing the stumps. I've had numerous jobs that stall out portable drills. Then the Milwaukee comes out.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
I won't pass judgement on anyone (unless they are a mentally challenged liberal) but the big stores will not go the way of the mom and pops. Their volume is too big. They simply raise prices for everyone on everything to cover losses. ed

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Thats the same drill I have Brian. I bought it some where around 15 yrs ago and used it the other day. Still as strong as new.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Be careful with Milwaukee. They used to be the top of the heap. Now the local stores have a bunch of cheezy red china crap that is stickered as Milwaulkee. I don't mind paying the money but a red plastic case on a $21.00 chinese drill does not make it a quality $210 drill. My 30 year old Milwaukee makes these new one look like childrens toys.

I would like to think the USA made high quality Milwaukee tools would be found in the commercial supply places, but they are not at the chain stores.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Local commercial tool jobbers sell Milwaukee here.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
This from a now retired carpenter--Bosch, fairly slow speed 750RPM with speed control right in the trigger, power---well you better have a good grip because if you don't you're going to have awful sore- beat up hands & knuckles. Have had mine 15\18 years drove a ton of screws--rail bolts--lag bolts with it, still going strong. Milwaukee is no slouch either have used them also, you can't go wrong with either one just make sure it's made in USA. They're not cheap but they are GOOD. Ross Puls

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay! I thought I knew the lingo but obviously not!? What in the hell is the difference between a drill, drill/driver and hammer-drill driver?! I want to drill normally, drive a bunch of screws if I rebuild my deck, and occasionally drill holes in concrete?! What in the hell do I need?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Drill to drill holes in metal or wood.

Impact Driver to drive screws.

Hammer Drill to drill holes in concrete.

Gotta have the right tool for the job.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts